PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It seems that representatives from the Mason Jar Trust are hard at work here! I suspect a mass conspiracy against Mylar. The Polyester Bag Institute had better up their game and get some more shills lobbyists representatives mylar aficionados in here post haste!

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
If someone could tell me how in the world i can get my hands on anything from Escoterica, i would gladly inspect all the bags. This stuff is almost impossible to find unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars on ebay.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you do not wish to break open the bag, buy an airtight container to store them in. While not as good as a canning jar, it will help if the bag develops holes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't know anything about Mylar, but I would never trust anything but a jar. There are/have been at least 3 threads about what to trust and not trust for tobacco storage, and the OP has found fault with his bags. I don't get why out of laziness, I guess, anyone would not just jar bulk tobacco. Pipes are more expensive, but tobacco is not cheap. If you jar you:
1. surely protect the tobacco

2. Don't have to check the packaging for faults.

3. Don't have to worry about the packaging having faults

4. Don't have to post on a forum questions about the viability of bags
while if you jar:
you just have to jar
As regards the sterling question whether you just jar the tobacco or jar the bulk packaging with the tobacco inside it, I guess, the answer is that if you are asking the question you're a chowderhead! Are you going to smoke the packaging? Does having the tobacco inside questionable packaging going to improve the tobacco? C'mon!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Call me a chowderhead then.
If there is even a remote chance that you might resell or trade your Esoterica, then you'll want to keep the original packaging.
Heat seal it in a 5mil Mylar/foil laminate bag and it will be good forever.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
woodsroad, there is not the remotest chance of you being a chowderhead. I would say why that is the case except that I've already amply defined chowderhead-ism, above. Again, I know nothing about Mylar.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Out of 5 bags of Esoterica that i have, 2 were bad. Dorchester, Margate and And So To Bed were sealed. Pembroke was torn at the corner seal, and my bag of Tillbury had pin size holes in it.
The Pembroke was still moist when i jarred it, but the Tillbury was bone dry which was fine with me too in a way since i prefer all my leaf bone dry. The bags are too risky to cellar for long term from my experience.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I use Mr. Doe’s cellaring method. It’s foolproof and worry free. I sleep better at night knowing my stash is safe and secure.
https://youtu.be/9qaWKF8Pnr4

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Figured this needed a bump for visibility
I just discovered my '17 ASTB is not fully sealed.
One of the 4 corners is wide open. I can slide a finger right through it. I didnt have a chance to fully open it but odds are good that the stuff will be dry as a bone.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Its not that hard to get Esoterica if you set up email alerts. Penzance and Stonehaven though, they are on another level.

psperrytops

Lurker
Sep 15, 2016
Thanks for the heads up. I have jarred all (what few I have) Esoterica bags. No point in losing the small amounts I have been fortunate enough to come by.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^Great Video^^^
I do it differently. I just store the 8 Oz bags in 5 gal Mylar bags for long term cellaring. Some of the 8 oz Esoterica bags do have defects and pinhole cracks, but I have never had a problem with the tobacco drying to the point of no return. If you only have a few rare bags and want insurance they will age well, then a mason jar is the best option. Personally, I just double bag them and put on a shelf. One piece of advise that I highly recommend, partition your 8 oz bag into 1/4's and store in the tiny 2 oz mason/Ball jars, that way you only open 2 oz at at time years from now and don't compromise the entire 8 oz at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.