PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Anyone know of an American artisan that does extreme bent pipes? He used to advertise of FB, but I gave up FB years ago.
I remember that he had to use those flexible drill bits and a template guide to drill his airways, there was that big a bend/curve to his shanks.

Reactions: AroEnglish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Were these essentially Oom-Paul/Hungarian pipes? That's what I visualize seeing "extreme bent." Or are these avant guard pipes bent in all directions?

Reactions: RobNYC

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Drilling that would be a wood-working feat. I like the craftsmanship of that better than the design of the pipe itself, which strikes me as mostly conspicuous.

Reactions: OzPiper

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
The "percage circulaire" or "percage courbe" is likely the technique that was used to produce the great LCs of the past, although some LCs were made with a straight drill. Those LCs do not have the same elegant curved shank, in my opinion. Mr. Telfer of Sutherland pipes should be praised for his mastery of this technique which I assume he uses for his LC-like pipes.

I have read that Genod or other factories in St. Claude turned LC bowls for Dunhill using this technique, however I've also read that eventually Dunhill used a similar system in England with what Bill Taylor called a "pecker" drill. It was called by that name because of the pecking technique needed to get the drill through to the chamber,

Today, other than Telfer, it seems there are few artisans or factories using this technique. Both Genod and Butz stopped using this type of drilling many years ago. If Dunhill used this technique, it too stopped decades ago. To my knowledge, Viprati makes pipes occassionally with this curved drilling technique as does Uwe Jopp.I believe Pierre Morel has used it and Ser Jacopo may currently be using curved drilling on some of their shapes. It's been alleged that Barontini can do this drilling but I've seen no evidence of it. There may be others I've left out.

I'd be very interested to know if any American carvers, other than Telfer, are using this technique today? I suspect it's a slow process to do it correctly with a high rate of failure. Since time is money in pipe making, especially today, perhaps few artisans or factories want to bother developing or mastering the art. It's too bad, because curved drilling can produce some incredibly beautiful pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd be very interested to know if any American carvers, other than Telfer, are using this technique today? I suspect it's a slow process to do it correctly with a high rate of failure. Since time is money in pipe making, especially today, perhaps few artisans or factories want to bother developing or mastering the art. It's too bad, because curved drilling can produce some incredibly beautiful pipes.
also the fact that it seems like the main reaction is "impressive but not pleasing". Might also add something to the not quite worth the effort for it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Robert's attention to detail is second to none. The bulk of the work is done by hand. Look at those transitions. Check out how thoughtful he is of the grain orientation (the Overbent Twist literally looks like the briar was bent and twisted) I have another even more mind blowing work of art in the works from Sutherland pipes.
View attachment 208049
Are these all done by him? The over-bent twist is phenomenal execution even if it's not my cup of tea. If he did do all of these, I'd love to see more of his traditional shapes.