PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I am buying tins and storing those, while mostly smoking cheaper bulk blends. I am guessing that it’s going to become almost impossible to personally import pipe tobacco into NZ in the next few years. So my tins could be up to 20-30 years old by the time I am done.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Or maybe the answer is to not let your tins get that old in the first place
In the beginning, 25 years ago, I didn’t intended this, it was the buying faster than smoking that led to a collection of older tins.

As long as I've got tobacco after it becomes illegal, I'm good.
This has become one of the primary goals to cellaring now hasn’t.

I think the general idea is to buy it and enjoy it and go from there.
Ah, it was just that simple once wasn’t.

Except for your Wonder Bread example;
Yes, the example is a metaphor for something ment to outlast humanity!?

I've posted on this to the same effect.
I think it may have been one of your posts that got me to pondering this.

Shitdust, they turn to shitdust.
okay, that’d as good a descriptor as any I can think off!?

• Haha
Reactions: rmpeeps and Elric

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, the example is a metaphor for something ment to outlast humanity!
25mm33.jpg

I've never found one to have turned to shitdust, before I open the tin (knock on wood), but if you don't smoke them fast enough after popping them, they turn to shit rather fast. This is why I only ever put my bulk in half pint jars weighed out to 3.5oz. I know I can smoke 3.5 oz within a few days.
This is why the best and oldest aged tins I have bought have always been shared with friends or at the pipe club meetings. Better to make a party of it, then to try to make it last a long time.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I've never found one to have turned to shitdust, before I open the tin (knock on wood), but if you don't smoke them fast enough after popping them, they turn to shit rather fast. This is why I only ever put my bulk in half pint jars weighed out to 3.5oz. I know I can smoke 3.5 oz within a few days.
This is why the best and oldest aged tins I have bought have always been shared with friends or at the pipe club meetings. Better to make a party of it, then to try to make it last a long time.
Sharing them makes them a thousand times better.

Admittedly I haven’t had many. However, one example was a sleeve of some 25 year old Bengal Slices that didn’t fare well.
I think the other 6 tins are now somewhere in China.
One of the things that my pipe club has done that I have really enjoyed is pitching in and buying aged tins from Pipestud and then breaking them open at meetings. We haven't done this in a few years, but we need to do this again soon.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Do you guys think the type of tobacco or cut makes a difference? I’d figure something like a plug would fare a lot better than say a shag cut.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oh crap...
I hope this isn't shitdust!

View attachment 15617

It's a nice tin though!
Well, no way to know until you open it. I had a tin of this from 1979 that I bought from Pipestud. The lid came right off, and the contents were shit dust like, but I went ahead and rehydrated it. The flavor was a contrast of super sweet and stale. But I kinda still liked it in a weird sort of way.
That's the risk I accepted buying old tins. Now, I no longer do that.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know. Mike McNiel has shared some of his 45+ year old tobacco with me and I loved it. Granted, it was in tube format, and yes it was different than originally intended, but I personally quite enjoyed it. Not that I want all of my tobacco that aged, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It happens occasionally. I've had some extraordinary smokes from ancient vintages, but far more duds. I don't mind as long as someone else pays for the duds.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
In the later 1990s and early 2000s, I regularly bought old tins of Dunhill and Rattrays Sillivan's etc which were tinned in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Most were magical. I remember being at a NASPC (before it was NASPC) show when a 1948 key can of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed was opened and shared. It was a really pleasant Burley smoke. I like the work time does on English blends. I like the melding of the flavors.

Mike S.

Reactions: BROBS and Elric
I was party once to the opening of a magnum of 1945 Chateau Lafite Rothschild.

The bottle was uncorked, aerated and poured out. Everyone drew their glasses for a toast and once the toast was over everyone took a sip. Some were extolling its virtues in complexity and tannins..... Others were just gushing over the 10 thousand dollar bottle of wine for no particular reason other than it's rarity and reputation.

After a few moments, The benefactor finally spoke up and said "This tastes like shit!" Everyone laughed and we all were secretly relieved that we weren't going to have to drink a whole glass of that ancient vinegar.

The chef used the remainder on the salad. It was delicious! puffy

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Like most subjects on the forum, our experiential realities and our opinions may be quite different. I have opened, and enjoyed, 30+ year old tins of several Dunhill blends. Some of these required some rehydration. All were very good to excellent. You can not expect them to necessarily match your memories but, they can be different (usually flavors that were once a melange tend to meld), yet quite extraordinary. I think a recommendation to shit can or sell your old stocks might just be a lure by those who can’t obtain them ?

Reactions: sandollars
Status
Not open for further replies.