PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
So, I noticed the Smoking Pipe 15% off sale on HH Mac Baren today. Then I lit up 2 consecutive pipes of HH Old Dark Fired followed by a bowl of HH Burley Flake. I've been enjoying burley a lot the last few months but I had neglected the small jars I had of these two blends. I wanted to taste them before buying any more during today's sale. As I smoked and prepared to mow the yard, I started getting a tiny bit dizzy like I do when I smoke HH Dark Fired Kentucky (DFK). Oops -- I forgot they both contain DFK. After reading the tobacco reviews for each again, I was reminded of the ingredients and the inclusion of DFK. I'm guessing I may be extra sensitive to nicotine maybe? Anyone else?

(BTW--I haven't eaten anything since last night and I'm wondering now how much DFK is included in each, perhaps it's a lot and I should have eaten first?)

kindest regards to all while regaining my equilibrium :)
mike

Back in my pipe club, when McC Red Cake was sold as a bulk tobacco at The Briary, I had suggested it as an intro to Virginias to a friend. Then the next month he beings me the bag and tells me that it’s too strong for him. I was like, “…then what the heck do you smoke?”

Different blends affect people differently.

What do you normally smoke that doesn’t make you sick?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Your customary dose determines your tolerance. I have to smoke ODF in a small bowl, as even a medium one gives me the spins. But then I smoke from zero to five bowls per week.

I’m sure you could gain tolerance over time if you smoked more. But that’s a more complicated choice.

It also sucks some sugar out of your blood. Have a chocolate.

Last edited:

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't know I guess some people have higher tolerance
Even when I abstain for weeks and sometimes months - the first bowl is never a problem for me
Don't get me wrong some time ago when I was primarily cigars an hour long on a Punch Champion or a CAO would render me on the floor with a side of Orange Juice - well correction, on a toilet bowl :LOL: :poop: with a trash can nearby for the oral release.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can't guarantee this but for myself in a similar scenario the effect of nicotine is from both lack of eating and engaging in activities.

Conventional wisdom is that not eating lowers your blood sugar which in turn intensifies the impact of nicotine and activity can cause you to unknowingly inhale more smoke than your used to which gives you an increased dosage of nicotine.

Consecutive pipes are also going to cause a hit.

• Love
Reactions: macaroni and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s from not eating. Next time eat a small something and have some juice, soda, or even water.

I’m not a huge eater so I often notice the nic if I haven’t eaten.

what really taught me was cigars. Try what you just did with a cigar and you’d shit, puke, or both.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It’s from not eating. Next time eat a small something and have some juice, soda, or even water.

what really taught me was cigars. Try what you just did with a cigar and you’d shit, puke, or both.
I don’t usually notice the nicotine in pipe tobacco, but I have had a few times in the summer, when I got super dehydrated working in front of the forge, and got a little nic hit from some rather tame blends. And I usually smoke stuff like Picayune, War Horse Bar, etc., without any buzz. Kind of surprises the hell out of you when all of a sudden you get a nic hit from something like Billy Budd.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I was going to say this as well. It could have been the tobacco hit your empty stomach and head nothing to do with the nicotine. Regardless, enjoy it if you're sensitive to nicotine. You can enjoy the great flavors of milder blends and not be a nicotine junkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.