PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I decided to pick up some bulk blending components and smoke them individually to learn more about their specific flavor and smoking characteristics. I just finished smoking some C&D Latakia.
After lighting up a small bowl, I immediately recognized the wonderful, smoky flavor, subtle spice and hints of sweetness that I find in my favorite English and Balkan blends. I also noticed the rich, white plumes of smoke that I experience with some blends.
Honestly, I could smoke this solo regularly.

I have some C&D Red Virginia ribbon, Izmir Turkish, Black Cavendish and Sutliff J4 Burley on hand. Once I finish smoking each one separately, I’m interested in experimenting with mixing these to create a personal blend.?

Anyone out there smoke pure Latakia in they’re rotation?
Any “home-made” blends you’ve created that you keep smoking?

Reactions: lightmybriar

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I’m pinging this thread to see if I can get some feedback on blends you’ve made?
Today I decided to smoke a 50-50 blend of CDs Latakia and Izmir Turkish.
I was pleasantly surprised with this simple blend. Amazing Latakia smokiness melds with the creamy Izmir and hint of sweetness. I could smoke this daily.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
This thread started in the early years of PM and digresses to blending commercially produced blends, but I think the post in the end containers links to other post you might find helpful.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
This thread started in the early years of PM and digresses to blending commercially produced blends, but I think the post in the end containers links to other post you might find helpful.
@Bengel ,
thank you! I will definitely go check out this link. I’m not looking to replicate other well-known blends. Just explore the individual blending components and see if I can’t make a Home blend that I really love.

I’ve smoked pure latakia. It’s ok, but I need more to sate me.
I’ve used their latakia to blend with, especially in my own Homegrown. My blend, Franklin’s Tower, I used a blend of my reds and while the blend was hydrating I pulverized the latakia into dust and worked it into my honegrown ribbon to add a touch of leather to it.
I’ve also used it in my twists also, adding it to the middle of the twist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy mixing from time to time, but Latakia shows up in so many blends as an almost default condiment that I've never bought it to smoke neat. The condiments that have worked for me are unflavored black Cavendish, Izmir Turkish, any single leaf Virginia with or without Perique, dark fired, and burley. Any blend that needs an occasional boost will benefit from Five Brothers or Tabac-Manil. I call my homemade efforts "mixes," since I'm not using pressure, oven, or aging in particular. Maybe it is just the change of pace, but these turn up some of the best smokes, or maybe that's just pride of "authorship." What works best for me is limiting the mix to two or three condiments. The pros spend months or years putting together five or six kinds of leaf, and I don't have that diligence. These guys work at it years on end.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I enjoy mixing from time to time, but Latakia shows up in so many blends as an almost default condiment that I've never bought it to smoke neat. The condiments that have worked for me are unflavored black Cavendish, Izmir Turkish, any single leaf Virginia with or without Perique, dark fired, and burley. Any blend that needs an occasional boost will benefit from Five Brothers or Tabac-Manil. I call my homemade efforts "mixes," since I'm not using pressure, oven, or aging in particular. Maybe it is just the change of pace, but these turn up some of the best smokes, or maybe that's just pride of "authorship." What works best for me is limiting the mix to two or three condiments. The pros spend months or years putting together five or six kinds of leaf, and I don't have that diligence. These guys work at it years on end.
Great insights! I’m definitely going for a simple, good smoke. I liked your comment about pride of ownership. I make homemade sourdough bread at home and also brew beer. So, the concept of making something from scratch that turns out great is very appealing to me.
I really like the flavor of burley and the straight Izmir was very enjoyable as well. I’ve got all the components you mention above except Perique.
Thanks again for comments.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I, too, have been experimenting with homeblending and smoking 'em straight. C&D Izmir Turkish is fantastic smoked pure and unadulterated. Of course, it also makes a fantastic blender with Virginias and Latakia. I have Red Virginia, Bright Virginia and Long-cut Perique.

Lately I've been smoking a blend that is 80% bright VA with 10% red VA, 5% Izmir, 3% Latakia, 2% Perique. I call it Red Rosy Cheeks (after my baby boy, but also in homage of Ole St. Nick!). It's delightful. I wish I had some blending burley on hand, but don't at the moment.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I, too, have been experimenting with homeblending and smoking 'em straight. C&D Izmir Turkish is fantastic smoked pure and unadulterated. Of course, it also makes a fantastic blender with Virginias and Latakia. I have Red Virginia, Bright Virginia and Long-cut Perique.

Lately I've been smoking a blend that is 80% bright VA with 10% red VA, 5% Izmir, 3% Latakia, 2% Perique. I call it Red Rosy Cheeks (after my baby boy, but also in homage of Ole St. Nick!). It's delightful. I wish I had some blending burley on hand, but don't at the moment.
Your “blend” sounds inviting. I need to buy some Perique and some bright VA And maybe some DFK.
Once I get the components, I’ll mix up a bowl of your blend to smoke!

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I smoke almost exclusively my own blends(yay for secret Santa!) and I’ve come up with many and experimented lots. I’ve tried lat bomb blends and pure Latakia, but much prefer it in smaller amounts to smoke on the regular instead of bombs every once in a while. Anywhere from 10-30%. 20% is nice to add some richness without getting things too smoky. I also like strong blends, so I keep the low nic leaf like Latakia as a compliment and not as a base. Just experiment and find what you like!

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have had straight Latakia, much milder than I expected actually. Seems the contrast with other leaf brings it forward. Straight Perique, on the other hand, or straight DFK (Toscano cigar clippings) is a different beast altogether, tasty as hell but sets my nose on fire.

Reactions: Fralphog

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
It’s a good way to learn blends.

Not too long ago I smoked Sutliff blending oriental TS24 straight - nice pleasant insense-like smoke.

Last week my pipe shop let me try their blending DFK. I was certain that DFK is the ingredient that puts me off of many blends. But it was fine straight - not great but not repellant.

Reactions: Fralphog