PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My point was that the forums shouldn't be a primary concern. Any basic format will be fine.
I respectfully disagree with that statement. It is the forums that drive this site and every other I have been to. Just look what happened to smokersforum.uk when they had their crash and lost all their history and old posts. It is now a ghost town and it used to be the busiest pipe site on the web. Look at other pipe sites that are also ghost towns, it is because their forums are boring and have no action.

I have been on sites starting with Cigar Aficionado in latre 1996. Then in January 1997 cigarfamily came out and we gave CA a good beating traffic wise. CF was the number 1 cigar site followed by CA. I posted on both and then there began other sites trying to make it but couldn't get in the same league as CF or CA.

Without a vibrant and robust forums section, you are history. I have seen site after site fail because of their forums section not carrying their weight. There is only so much content out in the world about pipes and cigars. Once you have read the content once, where are you going, the forums is the place to be. That is where we talk about pipes and tobacco and it is a place for newbies to ask their questions and gain their information. The new guys rely on us older guys to help them and to make them feel welcome. When I see people make their introductions I always try to welcome them as that is the polite ting to do and it can make a total new guy, a pro a year later.
The new guys are the life blood to most good sites and I think we do a good job welcoming new people.

We were all newbies at one time and I was made to feel welcome when I first got here and I try not to ever forget that.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I respectfully disagree with that statement. It is the forums that drive this site and every other I have been to. Just look what happened to smokersforum.uk when they had their crash and lost all their history and old posts. It is now a ghost town and it used to be the busiest pipe site on the web. Look at other pipe sites that are also ghost towns, it is because their forums are boring and have no action.

I have been on sites starting with Cigar Aficionado in latre 1996. Then in January 1997 cigarfamily came out and we gave CA a good beating traffic wise. CF was the number 1 cigar site followed by CA. I posted on both and then there began other sites trying to make it but couldn't get in the same league as CF or CA.

Without a vibrant and robust forums section, you are history. I have seen site after site fail because of their forums section not carrying their weight. There is only so much content out in the world about pipes and cigars. Once you have read the content once, where are you going, the forums is the place to be. That is where we talk about pipes and tobacco and it is a place for newbies to ask their questions and gain their information. The new guys rely on us older guys to help them and to make them feel welcome. When I see people make their introductions I always try to welcome them as that is the polite ting to do and it can make a total new guy, a pro a year later.
The new guys are the life blood to most good sites and I think we do a good job welcoming new people.

We were all newbies at one time and I was made to feel welcome when I first got here and I try not to ever forget that.
You may be 100% correct.

I look at numbers (analytics) and where do I get the most activity (revenue). I'm guessing that the return on the forums, while being fun, doesn't pay the bills. It's a question of where the publisher get the most return.

I like forums, but they're a pain in the ass to monitor a bunch of get-off-my-lawn types. :)

Reactions: rushx9 and craig61a

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This illustrates the difference between this site and most, unfortunately. People like to start web sites and want to join the virtual world, the wave of the future, but most don't have the time, resources, or knowhow to maintain a site. As we see, it is a lot of trouble, work and expense. That's what makes this place work.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I don't understand half of it, but I wouldn't mind creating an extra account for the other content either. ?
Very glad to read that the forums are going to stay the same way, love the new system and got very used to it. :sher:

Status
Not open for further replies.