PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hard not to hate them when I've had three, two straight billiards and a zulu, that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. Made good gardening accessories before I threw them away though.
I’d hate em too, after that. But I have 5 now, all good smokers with straight drilling. Of course the youngest one is 13 years older than I am. In 8 years I’ll be smoking one on it’s 100th birthday.

Reactions: BROBS

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had a few, pristine, rare British shapes. I rarely smoked them because I worried about damaging them. I sold them for top dollar a few years ago, after finding the same shapes in slightly less than mint condition. I smoke them regularly and get far more enjoyment out of them compared to their mint examples. I'm a weirdo...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’d hate em too, after that. But I have 5 now, all good smokers with straight drilling. Of course the youngest one is 13 years older than I am. In 8 years I’ll be smoking one on it’s 100th birthday.
Mine were 2 '74s and a 2007.

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Mine were 2 '74s and a 2007.
A lot of people say 70s ones suck, new mgmt cut corners or some such.

Mine are 28, 43, 67, 70, and 73. The 73 is a red bark prince and smokes fine. The others are all tremendous, particularly the 67 104 oval shank billiard.

Aside from that one, none are any better than any sav or other pipe I’ve owned, just more fun for the history, particularly in the dbl patent 28 (Alfreds retirement year) and 43 (two years after the factory was bombed).

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Now that I can see. Following the evolution of a company and their product would be a worthwhile pursuit.
That’s how I fell into collecting Pipe by Lee. Got one from SP.com out of curiosity. Discovered it was a great little smoker and started trying to find more info re the company and its pipes. Didn’t find much of the former, but 30+ pipes later I have all their shapes in some form or other save one. Am I worried about smoking the two artisan pipes I own? No. I just don’t because I like my PbL pipes more.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’m of the mind that a pipe, like just about anything else, was made to be used. A beautiful, expensive pipe that never sees any use is a pipe that’s not fulfilling its destiny to be smoked, and that, to me, is money wasted. You might as well just hang a framed photograph of that pipe on the wall, save the cash, and call it a day.

Nice things, especially nice things you worked hard for, are meant to be enjoyed. That’s just part of the rewarding feeling of having acquired them.

That having been said, I don’t buy pipes that I’d be afraid to smoke, and I don’t generally spend more than $100-$150 on a pipe since that’s the edge of my comfort envelope.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might simply wait a bit and fret not. When you are sure your practice/technique/care in lighting and smoking are where you want it, then you might light up those beauties without fear. Just don't smoke it in a gale.

Reactions: GentlemanJames
Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
The answer, possibly, is no.

I view and purchase pipes neither as investments nor tools. They are viewed and purchased as things to bring me enjoyment. If I enjoy owning a particular pipe but never have nor intend to smoke it but simply enjoy owning and having it in my collection without smoking it that is my business and no one else's. BTW, I do have a couple pipes like this. I also have a couple of expensive ones, but not as expensive as the two aforementioned, that I smoke only on occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, or other similar celebrations.

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with, nor any shame in owning any pipe you do not smoke or intend to smoke but rather simply like to know you own it or look at it.
I really like the idea of using my more expensive pipes on special occasions. I smoke cigars every so often, and I try to purchase a nice cigar for New Year’s Eve every year. Makes it a special experience and gives me a little something extra to look forward to when the clock strikes twelve. Thanks for your thoughts, shanez

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I really like the idea of using my more expensive pipes on special occasions. I smoke cigars every so often, and I try to purchase a nice cigar for New Year’s Eve every year. Makes it a special experience and gives me a little something extra to look forward to when the clock strikes twelve. Thanks for your thoughts, shanez
Those special occasion cigars can be tricky. For the Y2K rollover I had acquired a 1958 Cuban Dunhill.
New Years Eve came along and I had a raging cold.
I finally smoked it during a normal day in February and totally enjoyed the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.