PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
Good Afternoon Gents,

Going to ask a question that provides me with great angst: for those of you that are collectors, do you smoke ALL of your pipes? Are there some of the higher end pipes you avoid smoking? I'm not a rich man and it took a lot of saving and hard work to purchase my Dunhill Shell 5133 and Ser Jacopo Smeraldo Fiammata. I realize that many collectors have pipes that cost them thousands of dollars ~ I'm not trying to compete. I, personally, am proud of my collection and it makes me happy.

My torture is this: if I pack one of my expensive (>$500) pipes, I will constantly worry about damaging the rim while lighting the tobacco, biting too hard on the stem, etc. With all this worry, how can I enjoy my smoke? I know there is no point to owning a pipe if you're not going to smoke it; a pipe, at the end of the day, is a tool. How do you gents wrap your head around making the decision to fire up an expensive pipe?

I'm still a beginner ~ only been smoking pipes for a few years. I'll probably keep practicing on the cheapos, but some day....

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I have view pipes, and none of them is in the range of USD 500, but all of them are somehow expensive to me. Personally, I'd never buy a pipe with the intention of never smoking it. Also do I think, that a careful lighting will never damage a pipe's rim. Coloring can happen, though, due to tars and other residues, that settle on the rim, but those are cleanable.

Maybe this picture of Franco Coppo's (head of Castello) personal pipe collection will help you a little bit with your angst. Hint: Take a look at those rims!

1578095917497-png.14458

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I will never understand that. This is a pipe I've had since '92.

Nice grain on that one!

I must admit, that I don't have the discipline to clean the rims after each smoke, so mine tend to look like Coppo's from time to time, but I bring them back to looking good regularly. But I appreciate smokers who have the discipline to not let a charring even build up!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But I appreciate smokers who have the discipline to not let a charring even build up!
Tar an nicotine are one thing, but once charring is when the briar is burned. There's not much else to do but sand it away but that reforms a pipe. Coppo's rims are definitely burned. Tar and nicotine build up can be wiped away.

20190109_174408.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not a rich man and it took a lot of saving and hard work to purchase my Dunhill Shell 5133 and Ser Jacopo Smeraldo Fiammata

You've just answered your own question in a way. You spent the money on the pipe, so you are the only one who can decide what to do with it. There are plenty of guys who buy a $500 pipe and stare at it, and plenty that buy a $500 and smoke it everyday. They are BOTH right in doing so.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Tar an nicotine are one thing, but once charring is when the briar is burned. There's not much else to do but sand it away but that reforms a pipe. Coppo's rims are definitely burned. Tar and nicotine build up can be wiped away.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I wrongly used the term "charring". This did and (hopefully would) never happen to me due to careful lighting and packing. Though I can't tell from the picture, if those rims are charred or only dirty, but probably you're right!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I wrongly used the term "charring". This did and (hopefully would) never happen to me due to careful lighting and packing. Though I can't tell from the picture, if those rims are charred or only dirty, but probably you're right!
Some are, some aren't, but this poor fellow.:cry:

20200429_141321.png

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Burleyboy, you scrimped and saved to be able to purchase those lovely pipes, I assume that the intention was to enjoy them. I understand your reticence to light them, kind of like fretting about the first little scratch on a new car. However, once you do find that little scratch, it actually comes as a relief. I’ll bet that once you put that first tiny little tooth scratch on the stem, you’ll have much less concern about smoking those pipes. Make those pipes yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.