PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Megladon

Lurker
Nov 4, 2023
New pipe smoker and really enjoy the hobby. I would like to try new tobacco but seem to revert back to lane limited 1-Q. I would be interested to here how you long time pipers transitioned into stronger no aromatics and do still go back to the tobacco you started the hobby with.

Reactions: jbfrady

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
I liked Granger then, and I love it now! If you're interested in expanding, a short jump could be HGL, which is an Aromatic English from Lane. Amphora also has a variety pack of different blends, which may help you decide which way you'd want to go. Any which way, enjoy it!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Transitioning away from codger blends and aros is not a prerequisite to being a "real" pipe smoker. If you Like 1-Q (I love it) then smoke it. Nothing wrong trying new blends, but don't feel like you need to find something other than what you're smoking now.

As @BCF said though, HGL is a good step into light English. Try RLP-6, it's an aro but it's a little spicy, maybe try a codger burley, Sir Walter, Velvet, Half & Half, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc.

Reactions: Ryan

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Read about tobacco.
Read reviews. Read articles.
Watch YouTube videos. Read this forum.
Buy as much tobacco as you can easily afford and smoke it.
You’ll find your way in time.

Also, in my opinion, this hobby is all about doing what you love. If you love 1Q, smoke it. Smoke it as much or as little as you like. If you never tire of it, to me, that’s a bonus because it will save you shitloads of money in the future if you continue pipe smoking.

Last edited:
Reactions: minerLuke

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've predominantly changed tastes due to cut, but it took me quite awhile to understand what was happening. I began with aromatics then moved away from them. Then, a few years in, I started finding higher quality aromatics and loving them, but I also didn't understand why I'd pick up certain things and not others.

What I learned over time is that I gravitated towards my open tins of flakes and coins over everything else, no matter how much I liked the flavor in those other cuts. Put simply: they burn cooler. Flakes and coins require much more pressure and time, with former densities and consistent flavor.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I started out with Lane RLP-6, which is an aromatic, and is a nice blend. I still smoke it from time to time, but I typically smoke Lane 1Q more. After smoking RLP-6 and 1Q for a few months I started to explore some other blends. Sir Walter Raleigh, and Carter Hall were good blends, and I found that I enjoyed them more in my Corn Cobs as compared to my briars. That was through trial and error. As you start exploring different blends and smoking them in different pipes, you'll find what works best for you. As I kept exploring, I found some nice Virginia blends and English blends. Over time I found that I enjoy English blends most, followed by Virginia blends, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying an aromatic (currently smoking one right now) or OTC blends (SWR, CH, etc.).

I would suggest reading this forum and looking at tobacco reviews or looking up Tobacco Reviews .com and searching blends and reading those reviews. You can also look on YouTube for reviews to try to find new blends from explore. Remember taste is subjective, so what one person finds to be a great tobacco, you may not like at all, but continuing to try new blends is how you'll find new blends that enjoy. Good luck, and welcome to the hobby.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
I do not smoke the original tobaccos I tried, My recommendation is to buy a couple of different blends in the varieties that you are interested in.

Reactions: yanoJL
Sep 7, 2023
New pipe smoker and really enjoy the hobby. I would like to try new tobacco but seem to revert back to lane limited 1-Q. I would be interested to here how you long time pipers transitioned into stronger no aromatics and do still go back to the tobacco you started the hobby with.
One thing about this hobby is there is no shortage of blends to try thanks to online purchasing. I was overwhelmed the first time I went to a site and tried to decide!! I try something different every time I place an order and buy what I know I already like. Happy sampling!

Reactions: Pooh-Bah and yanoJL

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
I think Crooner's my go-to recommendation for new pipeists who want to broaden their horizons.
Cube cut Burley so it burns pretty reliably, and deertongue for a bit of flavor and fragrance.

I also second the vote for getting ideas from browsing this very forum - I saw several posts/memes poking fun at War Horse, so I tried it on a whim. It has since become one of my favorites.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
The pipe is an individual journey that we can't really help you with, although we can give you ideas if your suffering from choice paralysis.

I would pick a couple examples from each genre, English Aro's,Balkan, Va's, VaPer's etc and just try them. Get yourself some small pint Mason jars and if you smoke a couple bowls of something and it doesn't quite tickle your fancy, jar it up. Make sure you label the contents and then just revisit it from time to time. You may be surprised to find that blends you didn't initially like will turn into favorites down the road.

Happy piping!

Reactions: Tate
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Others have said it - why fix what's not broken ? But I understand the want to expand ones pallet. I wasted a lot of money early on doing this. Like the comment above says, pick a blend or two for each blend type and try them. 1oz of each, highest rated of its type in the bulk category. This could cost very little and give you access to blend types all across the board. If anything, it'll show you what you don't like. And if you really like something, read up on what exactly that blend contains and look for more bulk blends with that component in it.
Best of luck and have fun

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You've begun the journey now. Once you try other tobaccos you will discover a world of delights out there. You will also find a number of blends that that other folks like and you don't. A good percentage of us are still trying new tobaccos for decades searching for one blend that is magnificent and others of find what we're after and just smoke those few. Some guys here have cellars with 100's of blends and some have as few as three blends with another three that they only smoke occasionally.