PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hello
So with the Rattray's drop from SP the other day I picked up a tin of Exotic Passion to finally give a try.
---Big Bravo to SP for having my baccy to me in less than 48hrs!!---
Well, the tin is very nice. Tobacco packaged in cellophane(like Solani) so into a jar it goes. It smells really nice. Soft orange and cavendish fill the room. I put a little out to dry and about 30 mins later packed it up in a small MM and gave it a try.

1st impression is that it tastes somewhere between my wife's scented candles and hand soap. Strange strong taste that my brain wants to register as artificial but at the same time feels natural. I have always been impressed with the smoking quality of Rattray's'tobacco and this one is no different.

But then about half way thru the bowl I get it. I get why people rave about it. As much as I don't think I like it.. I just can't stop puffing. And the flavors come thru. Orange and spice and some ultra creamy wisps of vanilla. Super nice smoke.

So yea, so far I am digging it. Maybe it's a -when in the mood for it- type smoke, but definitely top notch.

Also, the smell of it sticks to everything. I could still smell it this morning all over the house. And my wife makes me smoke outside.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife bought me a bunch of it two years ago. Love it!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-gift-from-mrs-embers

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm glad somebody likes this stuff. I bought some a while ago and just didn't like it. I know I dumped it on someone here, but can't remember who.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I have been moving back to a taste for aros for some reason. I have sort of lost my taste for heavy lat blends and re-acquired a taste for Cavendish, which I couldn't stand for a long time.
Any decent strength aro's anyone can suggest? Orange Passion tastes nice but is pretty weak.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have missed the last three Rattary dumps for this stuff. As quick as I can get to the computer its gone. I have a a few bowls left from a tin and hope I can replace it . I agree with dr. Ben it is a tobacco every once in a while I want to puff on. One tine should last me a while. I do the same with the Rattary Summer 2018.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@drbenway, exotic orange is definitely an “in-the-mood” blend for me too. My experience was similar to yours at first. But it really grew on me. And like you I find it very weak in the nicotine so I often grab something else. But over the three years I’ve been smoking this blend it has grown on me for sure. Try it again in the spring/summer and you will probably like it much more. I know I enjoy it more in the hotter weather.
Btw, it ages very well. Last week I found a full tin of EO I had put in a cheap Glad plastic container 2 years ago. The lid was not even tight. But the tobacco was perfectly moist and smelled great. I smoked a bowl and noticed it had mellowed in a good way. I jarred the remainder in Mason jars.

EkumcgD.jpg

bmGyDev.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If you want an aromatic that is tobacco forward and has more nicotine, you might try Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. It is my personal favorite Aromatic.
3FN7saa.jpg

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
@NPOD--Thanks for the suggestion!...That's from Dan Tobacco correct? I have liked everything I have tried by them so far. I will give it a shot.
A little mellow on the EP might be good. It is very sharp for the 1st half of the bowl IMO.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Blossom Temptation is another nice aromatic from Rattray's that is cherry and currant.

Status
Not open for further replies.