PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Hey all,

could anyone tell me of the most unusual pipes they've come across? Not specifically how they look but rather what went into making them. The closest real-world example in my mind would be the beechwood pipes from the thirties, as briar was considered a reserved material for the war effort. I'm imagining artisans crafting one-off specimens with marble or obsidian for eccentric commissions, though I'm sure the reality is a bit more mundane.

Many thanks,

Mick

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hey all,

could anyone tell me of the most unusual pipes they've come across? Not specifically how they look but rather what went into making them. The closest real-world example in my mind would be the beechwood pipes from the thirties, as briar was considered a reserved material for the war effort. I'm imagining artisans crafting one-off specimens with marble or obsidian for eccentric commissions, though I'm sure the reality is a bit more mundane.

Many thanks,

Mick
Deer Antler
20210806_192503.jpgPXL_20201127_043846992.jpg120541559_366733564505510_5633358911219445242_n.jpg

Elephant Ivory
20210801_230151.jpg20210801_230701.jpg20210801_231749.jpg

Mammoth Ivory
20210801_231514.jpg

Hippopotamus Tooth
20210801_230928.jpg

Lapis Lazuli
20210801_235927.jpg20191016_013830.jpg

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hey all,

could anyone tell me of the most unusual pipes they've come across?
Are we talking accents or the whole pipe being made from an exotic material ?

If it is accents, then anything goes. Those pipes that @chasingembers posted above are great examples. Elsewhere we have seen examples of @cosmicfolklore metallurgical and jewellery skills. @alaskanpiper has posted a set of pipes he commissioned. @Cigar Ash Queen has posted pics of her diamond-studded pipe.

If you're talking pipes/ pipe bowls made from exotic materials then : -

1) Wood - beech, strawberry wood, olive wood, pear morta more commonly. And less commonly manzanita, mountain laurel, ebony, bamboo culms and tagua nut to name a few
2) Metals - Asian pipes are often found made entirely or almost entirely of copper, brass, silver, even gold. And not just (Japanese) kiserus. Some are ornately enamelled and decorated with inset precious or semi-precious stones
3) Animal material - I have posted pics of my ivory pipe elsewhere (bought on a whim - awful smoker). I have seen pipe bowls made of stag antlers, bone and recently a horn(shape), made of cow horn(natch) with a removable briar bowl (a la gourd calabash)
4) Stone - marble, alabaster come to mind
5) Mineral/earth - Clay and meerschaum of course

I'm sure if I were to ruminate on this subject I could be inspired to come up with a lengthier post ;)

Last edited:

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
I appreciate your contributions @chasnembers and @OzPiper. The above pictures look like the kinds of pipes I would see in books regarding the possessions of accomplished hunters or obscure kings. Do either of you suppose these kinds of pipes are meant more for collecting rather than smoking?

@OzPiper could you explain why Eastasian pipes are derived from different metals? I've seen metallic pipes in western shops before yet they were more conversation pieces than legitimate smoking implements.

Feel free to ruminate if you please, I'd love to read it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Do either of you suppose these kinds of pipes are meant more for collecting rather than smoking?
All of those I've pictured are mine and get smoked quite often.? The guys that made them for me would be fairly amused if I put them up just to look at.?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I applaud your collection as well as your commitment to presentation: for a moment I thought these pictures were from various estate collections or pipe shows. Do you notice any unique differences from smoking these pipes as opposed to briar or meerschaum?
All mine, and all pictured are briar. The top three are all from one carver and the last six are from a large collection of another carver.

20210801_232718.jpg

No real discernable difference from any well drilled pipe. Much satisfaction in knowing that the majority of them were carved just for me though. Meerschaum smokes much like briar but is much lighter. Even my gigantic meer pieces are light as a feather.

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
The lower left pipe reminds me of the multicoloured mountain ranges in South America - they look like huge rounded-off pieces of candy from afar. It's as if an imp had busted off a chunk and fashioned himself something wickedly cool for his outings.

As for myself I only had a meerschaum pipe that was rather small and shaped like a pirate's head. I'd wished to colour it by smoking particularly often, however the shank busted off right where it meets the bottom of the bowl. If they weren't so fragile I'd have at least one customised meerschaum and a few German clay pipes for variety's sake.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My wife and I like to go clubbing. We've been clubbing for years and there is something so thrilling about it. As I get older I know I won’t be able to go clubbing anymore so I had this pipe made with the bone of one of the baby seals we got.

0C91E80D-6F34-430F-91EA-E0BBBB93A653.jpeg
Oh, I’m sorry, did you think I meant dancing? No way! Middle age people look ridiculous dancing in clubs.

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Sounds like yours may have had a defect. I take meers everywhere I go including work. My giant Kenan skull hit my kitchen floor and left a dent in the linoleum bit the pipe was unscathed.

I wouldn't be surprised. Meerschaum isn't my go-to so I bought the small one on a lark. They remind me of the French briars you get off Ebay, it's hit-or-miss.

@hauntedmyst I wonder if narwhal horns or whale bone would ever be used for pipe fashioning.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
@OzPiper could you explain why Eastasian pipes are derived from different metals? I've seen metallic pipes in western shops before yet they were more conversation pieces than legitimate smoking implements.
Cultural differences.

Ivory because the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans had highly skilled ivory carvers. They were also highly skilled metal workers. Also jade.
There are stunning examples in museums, obviously made for the nobility and wealthy.

The hoi polloi probably were content to have much more rudimentary implements. You can find cheap "silverwork (low grade) souvenir pipes" for a few dollars in the tourist centres of most South-East Asian towns and cities.

On a less esoteric level are the rustic pipes used by ethnic tribes eg the Karen, with bowls made of bamboo (culms and stems) and also clay.

Historically Asian pipes have miniscule bowls compared to Western pipes - perhaps the strength and type of tobacco influenced that.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
My my. At one point in time narwhal horns were a hot commodity in mediaeval Nordic countries because they were viewed as panacea. Now they're being ground down and reshaped into pipe fittings...

The second example you'd posted has an unmistakably organic look. Not because it's derived from sea creature bones but rather the fact it looks like petrified fungus. The porous gaps make the mortise stand out, albeit in a slightly morbid way.

I think pipes can be a testament to human ingenuity and creativity because we can apply different techniques and resources to make something truly original yet enjoyable. If I were a refurbisher or artisan I would explore concepts like those posted above.

@OzPiper many thanks for the information. I'd assumed that metallurgical traditions were at play yet didn't want to make any unwarranted guesses. I recall seeing in Japanese comics and television how they'd portray long, thin pipes with tiny bowls for characters in period pieces. Now you've got me thinking of how their climate and blending techniques would affect the taste and potency of tobacco...

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My my. At one point in time narwhal horns were a hot commodity in mediaeval Nordic countries because they were viewed as panacea. Now they're being ground down and reshaped into pipe fittings...

The second example you'd posted has an unmistakably organic look. Not because it's derived from sea creature bones but rather the fact it looks like petrified fungus. The porous gaps make the mortise stand out, albeit in a slightly morbid way.

I think pipes can be a testament to human ingenuity and creativity because we can apply different techniques and resources to make something truly original yet enjoyable. If I were a refurbisher or artisan I would explore concepts like those posted above.
Then there are examples of antique albatross wing bone pipes.

872805174_o.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My commissioned set includes pipes with scrimshawed walrus ivory, gold, mammoth ivory, moose antler, deer antler, rifle shell casings, birchwood, and steel alloy. The mammoth ivory and walrus ivory are probably the most unique. Maybe the one with moose antler and a band made from the shell casing that killed it a close third.

2be92440-1178-42b6-a957-78d571099100.jpg
_MG_8491.jpg
moose 1.jpg