PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'd hate to say it but USUALLY "mergers" are bad. In a year or two operations will be moved, people will be let go, blends will get discontinued, quality will slide and so on. I hope I'm wrong.
Budweisers "mergers" are always bad. Mercedes-Benz and Chryslers "partnership" failed. Starbuks and its countless swallowing of its smaller competition... But hey, this will work out.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I'm with you. leacha.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around C&D's current retailer base readily accepting that the brand is owned by a competitor. In my direct experience, that just does not work. Admittedly C&D sold direct but they did it well, selling at an effective MSRP with which any B&M could well compete and still make a good margin. That plus no B&M is going to stock 250 blends from any single house, including Laudisi (I'll wager) and hence blends are just going to disappear, sooner or later. C&D's willingness to tweak your blend (customize it) or press your bulk pound for free? Who knows?

I spent a lot of effort over the last four years cajoling, begging, berating, pleading with my B&Ms here to stock C&D - my favorite blends foremost. Two followed through. Now?

Just messaged my wife; her advice "Stock up NOW"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After reading the article again this statement from Mr Tarler struck a cord with me,

" The fact that the day-to-day administration of the business is lifted from my shoulders and I can concentrate solely on being creative with new blends and production has me extremely enthused"

some people are not cut out for administration, as they are more creative. It sounds like Mr Tarler will now be free to create and have the burden of running the day to day stuff lifted off his shoulders which will mean more time spent on creating blends. I imagine that Chris feels like a huge weight has been lifted from him and I can understand his enthusiasm. Running the nuts and bolts of a company like his is time consuming, boring and tedious. A creative mind is not cut out for that kind of work so I am sure Chris is more than ecstatic about the new merger. When you have an operation as good at logistics as SP is, I am sure Chris was very confident in making his decision to merge with them.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I have only the greatest respect for the "late" Craig Tarler and the current Chris Tarler. If Chris thinks this is good, then I do too! As for how this will affect Captain Bob's Blend I do not know. I am not really worried as I do not receive royalties or compensation for the sale of my blend. Because, that is the way I wanted it to be. That was my agreement with Craig Tarler. As for my other two Blends that we (Craig and I) created, "Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture" and "Captain Bob's Ship Mates Blend", I do not know as these blends were not "public" but were available by direct order from C&D. Maybe, I won't even be able to get these two blends anymore. I do not know the answer as of this time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have mixed feelings. To me, bigger is usually not better, and smokingpipes is already the biggest pipe and tobacco business on the planet.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
This is even bigger news than the Sutliff-Altadis merger!
This is a big win for the pipe smoking community, as both companies have been upstanding, and being able to deliver superior products at the lowest possible prices.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I know that C&D takes great pride in their art and trust that they wouldn't make a decision that would potentially jeopardize that reputation. I have a special place in my heart for C&D because my first pipe smoke ever was a bowl of their tobacco and I probably wouldn't be enjoying pipes today had I not enjoyed that experience so much.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
In celebration I'm going to put fire to a bowl of Cornell & Diehl Epiphany right now!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
This sounds like a match made in pipe heaven, honestly, and I'm happy for all parties involved. I would add my voice to the chorus of those who enjoy the comical and wistful tin art on many of their blends--DON"T CHANGE IT! Many of the C&D blends have only that generic tobacco plant and blend name art, however, so I won't mind those being revamped. And like many I'm excited to see what new concoctions Chris comes up with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hope Laudis will continue to let Cornell & Diehl come to the pipe shows with samples of their product.

I'm counting on it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kevin, thank you for bringing this to Forums attention. This helps us track the situation and

understand if there are changes in distribution and availability (some of which could be good).

Some of what happens in the pipe and tobacco market seems most mysterious unless you have

the back story on ownership and arrangements. C&D is a prize, and I hope they continue with

their expertise and great selections of blends, not to mention classy art on the tins.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I have communicated with my friend Chris Tarler. He informed me that Captain Bob's Blend will be available on SmokingPipes.com. However, my other two blends will not as they were not public by C&D. I have no problem with that. I receive nothing from the sale of my blends. I am pleased that Captain Bob's Blend is among the offerings. But, as of today, it is not listed on SmokingPipes.com. However, it is listed in Tins and Bulk on www.pipesandcigars.com at a very excellent price structure. I have ordered from them with excellent results. So, if SmokingPipes.com does not list it, you can request it from them or, you can get Captain Bob's Blend at www.PipesandCigars.com at a really good price. For those of you that smoke CBB and have any questions, just send me a PM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I revisit this topic for a couple of reasons:

1) Because I averred a concern about the merger fearing changes to come I should update my feelings. Two hours after my last post here I (as many I'm sure) received notice via USPS from C&D of the merger and the closing of my direct purchase account. I appreciated that.

2) I purchased a small order on 12/30 from Laudisi which did not have all my favorite blends; they were TOS. Hence I missed the free shipping on my annual big restocking order (not placed this year). Today, all my blends showed back in stock at smokingpipes.com.

3) It appears that the full current C&D production is now available there.

4) I am dismayed at the 8.45% or thereabouts price increase (3% for full pound). Yes, it still cheaper than other online sources but as I suspected, they couldn't maintain pricing level under that for their wholesale customers.
Such is life.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
The merger of two companies into one means that in the event of the business failing, both companies will be gone.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Why is this being called a merger?? Laudisi bought C&D. It's that simple.

Same as with Cigars International buying P&C. That wasn't a merger either, CI bought P&C.
It's pretty basic stuff.
Rich

4noggins.com

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
How long until the C&D brand is made elsewhere? Where it can be made cheaper?

My guess is it will start with a new product line that is made outside of the C&D plant. Then, a slow creep. History tells us that this is what will happen. There are no exceptions as of today.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
RICH,

I guess with the Tarlers taking part ownership of whatever company they 'merged' into, one could call it a merger.
I see smokingpipes has now written up their entire bulk C&D inventory up with the price increase. Sigh...Reverse economies of scale. I've not bought tinned product from them before and so I can't comment (complain) there.

Status
Not open for further replies.