Excise Tax on Tobacco Shipped Within the United States?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
So then it would reckon, you do need and benefit from the societal infrastructure of the area you live in. Very often you get what you pay for.

Now you may understand there’s more than just physical infrastructure that a resident benefits from in their place of life.
as I said above "Of course very little infrastructure/amenities and cold as hell but I for one do not need or want the so-called services in the states i have lived. " I do not see the "services" of much use. But the infrastructure of business is of use to me. But that said, please show me anywhere in my posts where I say I am unhappy with where I live? You cant. You are making something up that is simply not there. But I certainly can say the following statement from you comes from a place of a refusal to understand the situation of another or worse outright ignorance, "I never understand why many people really dislike the current living situation, praise another but stay where they are. Go be happy where you live!" This is simply not possible for many people.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Mostly true - My son lives in Montana - no sales tax and low income taxes and you get to deduct federal taxes on your state return. Of course very little infrastructure/amenities and cold as hell but I for one do not need or want the so-called services in the states i have lived. Whenever I visit him I stock up on alcohol, ammo, food etc, etc. I mule a packed SUV back home :). This summer I'm gonna buy a boat and it's gonna be in Montana ;)

And 100% turn off the cable news or any news for that matter!
That's one of the advantages of a low population density state, less infrastructure wear and tear, less complexity overall.

California is a high tax state, but they still allow deductions for home office expenses, which were gutted in the 2017 Federal Tax Scam. So I can pretty much pay little to nothing in state taxes because I work at home in my home studio. We pay an extra buck for gas, but then again, our streets and bridges and other infrastructure are constantly being maintained.

If the state isn't taxing, then the municipalities are taxing to meet operating costs. Somewhere, some way, they get the revenue to meet, or hopefully exceed to keep for emergencies, enough for operating costs.

And taxing authorities are sneaky little bastards. I recently got a tax rebate credit card from the state. Thing is, they tax that rebate.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A dollar thirty three on a pack of cigs but an 85 percent tax on loose leaf tobacco? They aren't even pretending not to be in bed with corporations at this point
Not really. They are in bed with do gooders and the cigar industry of Florida.

There’s no Florida state tax on cigars at all.

And the do gooders despise the poor folks that smoke cigarettes. So the cancer sticks are taxed a dollar thirty three, and roll your own substitution tobacco 85% of invoice.

It does raise quite a bit of tax revenue:

—-
Florida received $1.51 billion (estimated) in revenue from tobacco settlement payments and taxes in fiscal year 2021.
—-

But compared to the welfare Florida gets from Uncle Sam, it’s peanuts:

—-

Florida enacted its FY 2023 budget in June 2021. The enacted budget included $109.9 billion in total spending and $41.8 billion in general fund spending. Under the American Rescue Plan, Florida will receive $8.8 billion in direct state fiscal aid and $5.7 billion in local government aid from the federal government.
—-
Which reminds me of a song, but life usually does.:)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022
I have never seen this before, paylesscigarsandpipes has a few tins I was going to grab, they are in Florida so even better as I'm supporting a local B&M shop.

Grab what I want and I'm a happy camper right up until the image below, I have never seen this before, I called them thinking there was a mistake and according to "Kimmy" anything not wrapped in leaf, as in a cigar, is considered bulk and they charge an excise tax.

Has anyone else seen this at any other vendors? Needless to say I will not be placing any orders with them at anytime, ever.

View attachment 157640
It's like that in Pennsylvania. They charge close to 50% as an excise tax and the new Administration is considering outlawing pipe tobacco on the grounds of Health.