PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Al right, 1:00 a.m. 2 martinis, 2 Shiraz's. 2 bowls. 1-Peterson Sunset breeze out of a Cob and 1 Peterson Sweet killarney out of a Savinelli, Everything taste the same and smoke the same. One reason i got into pipes is the subtle nuances between the different pipes and tobaccos. I can taste any gin and have an 99% of letting you what kind. probably 70% of all scotches. Right now I couldn't tell a good tobacco from ragweed. This is not what i am used to nor where i want to be. I know it will come in time. BUT i am looking for an aromatic that will blow my socks off. If is says amaretto, i want to feel like I've been hit in the head with a bottle of it. If is says cherry, I want to be able to spit out the pits............help me find the quintencential aromatic.
PS. I never see anyone seeing a review, good or bad of Peterson tobacco, am i missing something?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I know how you feel about wanting an aromatic that tastes like they let on that it will.
Probably the best tasting aromatic I've had, that actually tasted like it's supposed to, is C&D Autumn Evening, it's a maple blend. MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake also has a room note and subsequent flavor that is spot on.
I went through a period of about a week recently where all my tobaccos that I normally love had bite and had more tongue sting than ever. It all started after I got two sheets past saucy with a bottle of Evan Williams (bourbon), now I suppose that could be coincidence, but I wonder.
But things are back to normal now.
And if you haven't read any reviews of Peterson tobaccos, you're not looking in the right places.
tobaccoreviews.com and luxurytobaccoreviews.com

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Aromatics can be hit or miss, many times it is the aroma that takes center stage. If you're looking for a sweet aromtic I would suggest Motlo Dolce from Sutliff Private Stock if you like caramel. I also like C&Ds Berries & Cream. Both of these have plenty of flavor IMHO.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
The smell of the aromatics is incredible bit the flavor fails to deliver. reminds me of a fresh ground coffee.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
@zenthal, I find that the experience is no different with or without lubrication.

I'm enjoying my pipe with a nice glass of red better than without..........

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
if i had a 3rd pipe i'd keep trying different blend,,,,glad i'm a newbie...I guess??????????

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I find that if you drink somthing with a light Taste and smoke nothing but aro for a while, you start to pick up on the flavors much better, of you don't have that kind of dedication, then switch to somthing else and use your aros as a party smoke.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Evan Williams I love that stuff. as for aros maybe your asking too much as i would think the tobacco its self would have some affect on the tast.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
It's all too new to my palate. Drink or not, i'm not getting a discernible differences in the baccy. I'm enjoying myself but would like to have something more flavor forward. I have variables in the lighting method, pipe style and make, and baccy. I'm trying to keep with on constant, my pipe (but i cannot use within 24 hrs...)

I need to get to the point where I actually taste the vanilla, amaretto or what ever......

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I didn't get this at first with pipe smoking, but as soon as I had my first sinus infection it made sense.
Your ability to taste is very much wrapped up in your olfactory sense.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I smoke aromatics. Various brands and if you smoke an aromatic quickly three things happen, pipe gets hot, tongue bite kicks in, and you can't taste the flavouring. Perhaps just try slowing it down maybe?

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Cherry?? Try lanes cherry if you want to taste "cherry"

It tastes like ludens cough drops and go from there.

If you pm me i will send some to try.

Cheers Jeff

Ohh and Welcome to the forum.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't smoke many aros,although I will agree that MacBaren Vanilla Creme has quite the vanilla taste.
I can't help but feel that the alcohol is affecting the taste, especially if you are new to the pipe.Smoke slowly, with water to help cleanse your palate. This is going to be especially important as you learn these blends.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I can say that MacBaren's Seven Seas especially the Royal has a flavor that matches the aroma but ONLY if you smoke slowly as barkar told you. I also recently tried Spince n Nice and No Bite Delight from Boswell's. Both are very high quality aromatics and deliver taste. I'm partial to the Spice n Nice though. Just enjoy the journey man, we are all in pursuit of that ever elusive 5 star smoke that blows our socks off. I am a new smoker as well and understand what you are saying. I am tiring of aromatics for this reason and find myself really whitteling down what I want to smoke in that department. If you PM me I will send you a couple of samples of some different stuff that has altered my path a bit. Sorry for the ramble.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
CAO Cherry Bomb is a very good topping-forward aro, as is their Bella Vanilla. Try approaching them with clear palate and sinuses--think seltzer water, table crackers, and not having smoked for a good 8 hours before. Definitely check out Luxury Tobacco Reviews, I think I may have reviewed one or two on there--including Petersons. And welcome to the forum!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I paricipated a while back in a baccy swap here on this site. A very generous fellow traded me a few ozs made up of many samples for a few ozs of his choice baccy from me. I got the better end of the deal as i said he was very generous. So what I did was sit down and made a journal of my taste testing. Each night I would try a different baccy, and write down what I thought. This helped my taste developement tremendously. Before that I would try a new baccy when I ran out of the other type without taking the time to savor the baccy. It was very hard for me to distinguish a signifigant difference between them then, but now I can taste the baccy and its elements clear as a bell. Some blends however are let age long enough the elements are homogenized very well. Those are harder to determine its elements.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Just to clarify, I have smoked with water only but fared no better. With all the help here i'm thinking I'm still smoking too fast and too hot. I get slight tongue burn (scorch). I probably have a packing problem also....

Status
Not open for further replies.