PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
Why was my immediate thought involved the virgin organisms and how they should be group with a tamper?

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Ah, another warning label ! The Pregnancy one scares me the most though ! ;-)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nate, too early to tell really...I'll give a better answer after a few more bowls.
"Another reason to prefer a tamper."
Javan, I only use a tamper once the bowl is lit. I prefer to use my digits when packing as I get to 'feel' how tight I am loading.
The important thing is that the discomfort was worth it in the end. Blackwoods Flake is a yummy blend :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Javan, I only use a tamper once the bowl is lit. I prefer to use my digits when packing as I get to 'feel' how tight I am loading.
The important thing is that the discomfort was worth it in the end. Blackwoods Flake is a yummy blend
Yep, some prefer built-in tampers and I can totally understand them. I mostly pack with a tamper but at the end I check the tightness with my finger. Enjoy Blackwoods.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Did the blood reduce the alkalinity and increase nicotine absorption?
"Blood Tobacco" has a great ring to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now when I spot those spiny stems in a blend, and I want to crunch them down a little tighter in the pipe bowl I'm packing, I reach for a pipe nail and give them a firm tamping. I can feel them bend and break, and usually they burn smoothly after that. P.S. I don't think the whiskey barrel chips in Frog Morton Cellar are meant for smoking ... but now that you mention it ....

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I just gave blood. The nurse said wait an hour or so before smoking. I said I would wait until Wed morning at the pipe show.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks, having since had my second and third bowl of Blackwoods Flake and though the tip of the thumb is still tender it was well worth it.
BF is certainly up there with the better Virginia Flakes though still not a patch on my beloved FVF.
More trials to follow with my other new McClelland Va blends...hopefully with no blood loss involved.
Regards,
Jay.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
For several years out of college I worked in a hospital lab as a medical technologist. One of the many tasks I had to perform was phlebotomy. During this time, my pipe smoking was mostly done on the weekend/days off. Consequently, I never drew blood while packing a bowl, and as phlebotomy requires the use of both hands, I never packed a bowl while drawing blood.
:mrgreen:
Seriously, though ... just the idea of a tobacco stem sliver makes my thumb itch. Glad you're recovering.

Status
Not open for further replies.