PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2018
England
Opening game is tomorrow, hosts Germany take on Scotland. Anyone gonna be watching? If you are then who will you be supporting? Hopefully it'll be a great tournament and England can put a decent run together. They've got a great team on paper - Foden, Kane, Bellingham - but they didn't look like world beaters in their last game where they got turned over by Iceland at Wembley.

Still, that was just a friendly and if they can have a good first game against Serbia and build some momentum then I could see them going deep into the tournament. They've definitely got the squad for it.

Whatever happens i'm looking forward to a month of awesome matches🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿👍.

Jun 23, 2019
Because of the timing here on the East coast, I really enjoy watching European footie and a pipe (with coffee). So I'll definitely be following.

Can Germany be the surprise package and win it at home as a sign off for some of the older players? Can England finally get their collective shits together and win a penalty shoot out when it matters? Or will France just dominate like their roster suggests?

I don't have any answers, but I'm keen to find out!

(Also, Copa America is starting next week too! I'll probably catch whatever games I can find on telly too.)

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
England as usual will fail at the first decent team they meet.They really should do better with the players at their disposal.
Not just this tournament but every world cup/European championship for the last 30 years

I am English but have lost interest in the national football team,English rugby team however !!
but even they should do better given the number of players at their disposal compared with the likes of New Zealand/Ireland

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Jun 9, 2018
England
The result was one thing but it'll be the piss poor performance that will have the Scotland fans worried. They'll need to play a lot better than that on Wednesday if they want to get out the group.

I did like the way the Scotland fans celebrated when they got the own goal. You'd have thought they'd just scored the winner in the final. Good attitude to have.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I know quite a few people that have travelled across to Munich, or will be heading over to Germany at some point over the coming week.
I am not really into football, but it has gripped the country. Just being there is cause for great celebration. I am sure they will party tonight regardless of the result. Its estimated that 150,000-200,000 may travel to the tournament. Thats 1 in 25 of the population.
I grew up in the 80's and 90's where qualification was almost taken for granted. After an entire generation of failure to qualify, lots of dad's seem to feel the need to take their kids across incase there is another lengthy spell of absence from qualification.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a good BBC documentary on YouTube about the Scotland fans and the different ways they scraped together the dosh to travel to the World Cup in Argentina in 1978. One dude even sold his shop to make it there. An interesting look back at a world now long gone.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Been impressed with Germany and Spain, so far. Be interesting to see what England can do tonight and whether they can justify being one of the pre tournament favourites.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
A definite game of two halves. We played well in the first and were in total control then fell to bits in the second. If we play like we did in the second half against one of the top teams we'll get torn to pieces. Still, it's 3 points and a win in our next game against Denmark and we'll qualify.

Thank God Jude Bellingham is English 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🙏

Reactions: jpmcwjr