PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
The main thing that will affect the drying rate will be the relative humidity where Zack is. The moisture content in the air exerts a pressure to keep the pipe damp or let it dry. After that will be temperature, higher temperature, laying in the sun, again, raises capacity for how much moisture the air can hold, so, faster drying. Maybe Zack can record the average temp and humidity during the drying period, but unless he lives in Arizona, I am guessing a couple of weeks to totally dry.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You oughta see how much a cob can hold! They can drink a briar right under the table.
... and be ready to smoke again in a few hours! :D
Interesting experiment Zack ... thanks! :puffy:

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Zack - I can believe that! I weigh myself before getting into the shower and again after drying off, I weigh one to two pounds more. Just send that pipe to me and we will be a match. Both water logged!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This illustrates the porosity, for intaking water, but not the permeability that would let air or water move through and outside gain
...and you may win the prize for explaining why smoke does not penetrate the briar to any significant depth. The litle bitty cell structure in wood that allows it to move water from the roots can fill with water- not so much with water vapor or smoke...
It will dry at a gram a day, or at least that's what I've recorded here in NC's weather. It's a pretty reliable count for me - After I boil something, if it gains 6 grams of moisture weight, I know it will be six days before it's back to normal.
I live in Florida with insane humidity (even in an airconditioned room.). The pipe has lost 1 gram in the past 2 days...
Maybe Zack can record the average temp and humidity during the drying period
After having just finished a 14 hour day, I'd rather be drinking...:)
The wax may bubble up from beneath as the water reaches the outer surface of the pipe.
Nope- Carnauba will repel water, but it's not capable of bubbling- it's incredibly thin (varnish or shellac might bubble) Wax will turn a milky white if subjected to moisture...

Status
Not open for further replies.