Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I am an ancient pipe smoker of 50 years. I am age 63. I always bought cheap pipes, smoked them until they broke! About ten years ago I discovered that I wanted a modest Artisan pipemaker for my pipes. I put him to the test and now own 16 of his pipes. I would not have it any other way. This works for me in a comfortable range of $200 to $350 per pipe. I expect to acquire at least 30 of them if I live long enough. It all has to do with your comfort level in considering the value of a pipe. A cheap pipe can smoke just fine, or maybe not! It all depends. Some are good and some are not as good. I settled on a pipe maker that is reasonable and have established a relationship with him over many years. It has added so much enjoyment to my smoking pleasure. I do not spend more that $350 for a pipe and that is my personal limit. But, I will testify that dealing direct with an Artisan pipe maker has some significant advantages. They stand behind their work and their work is always excellent (in my experience). My guy is Bob Hayes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I have some that for me are expensive pipes.Two of them are Dunhills.I just try though to keep in mind that not everyone has a lot of extra money to spend.I want to encourage young folks to get into pipe smoking.I try to let them know that it need not cost them a fortune to do so.I just say to them buy the best that they can afford.In the end what others pay is really no concern of mine.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think all of us have Pipe Acquisition Disorder to some degree. Buying pipes is part of the hobby, but you cannot buy without spending cash—so knowing what someone paid, at least to me, does add to the story.
It's not always necessary, but I am sometimes curious, especially when it is an estate. It helps me get an idea of what an estate model is worth or can be had for. As well, when I share a price, it lets me know if I over-paid or not, adding to my knowledge on the value of certain models and years.
And when I read that someone here bought a brand new Dunhill or an artisan pipe, I am genuinely happy for them even though I know they spent more than I can afford. I don't get jealous nor do I think they are flaunting their wealth. And I am betting that 95% here feel the same. To me, it's all part of sharing and discussing our hobby.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
"I think all of us have Pipe Acquisition Disorder to some degree" - verified truth

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I agree with the above posts. I have given away many pipes to newbies. All have been excellent smoking pipes and not rejected pipes by me. We can inspire and contribute to a new pipe smoker. In fact, this Forum is probably the best favor we could give to a new pipe smoker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
The last pipe I purchased was for $30, a Missouri Meerschaum nose warmer from a site I don't think I'm allowed to mention. Ashamed? It's one of the best smokers I have.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Usually the only time I mention the price of a pipe that I bought is when I think I stole the thing. I think it helps people to know that there are some incredible deals out there if you are patient and do your homework. When I post a new pipe from Rad Davis I don't mention prices because people can pretty much look it up and they know what pipes like that go for.
The last pipe where I mentioned a price was my Castello that I bought off of Ebay. I think I stole it so the price was part of the conversation. I have no problem if someone asks me what I paid for any pipe if it helps them in determining if it is something they can afford or if they are curious as to whether I think a certain artisan is worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.