PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I have been contemplating an order with Estervals. I was going to pick up a few Salty Dogs, but also wanted to pick up some English/Balkan blends that wouldnt be available in the US. I hear that the reformulations of HU are to be avoided. Asking for other suggestions unless those blends have been spared.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have been contemplating an order with Estervals. I was going to pick up a few Salty Dogs, but also wanted to pick up some English/Balkan blends that wouldnt be available in the US. I hear that the reformulations of HU are to be avoided. Asking for other suggestions unless those blends have been spared.
Avoided? No. Not at all.
Have they changed? Yes, like all blends and brands do, over time.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
Maybe Dan Tobacco's? I don't know if they are available in the US, but their English mixtures are quite good: London Blend, Gordon Pym and Old Ironsides (if you like dark fired).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't know that is true across the board but I also don't smoke many English blends. I didn't get some Fayuum Kake 2 years ago or so, it was quite good. I wouldn't hesitate to try some of the other HU English blends. Directors Cut is the notable blend that was altered for the worse. The new recipe isn't horrible, they just took a marvelous blend and made it mediocre by comparison. Makhuwa is another that's a shadow of its original.

Reactions: TheWhale13