PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
I've started purchasing estate pipes and cleaning them up. Mostly for my use, but may someday sell them.

Many estates I've been running into don't have original stems. How much should that effect the price? Say I find stummels from a very collectible carver, but they lack the original stem. Are original carvers generally willing to make a replacement or should I have someone else make one and the original is gone forever? Are there other options?

Thanks for your help. Just trying to be a bit more informed!

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I can't say exactly how much I think it would impact the price of a pipe, but suffice it to say that it does impact the value a great deal. Even well-made replacement stems from the original carver are still viewed as replacement stems by most collectors and don't achieve top dollar as a result.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
There are options. And if you can get the original artisan to carve a stem, great. But generally a replacement stem by anyone else decreases the value. However the smokability goes way up! LOL

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've never had an original carver replace a stem. With many of the USA carvers now in the spotlight, I would imagine they would replace them gladly. With English or Italian manufacturers, I've never tried to have them replace a stem because it seems like a huge hassle. Rich Lewis in Minneapolis can replace many stems with factory logos (he actually has many factory stamps) and I would imagine other pipe repair services can do the same. As for price, it could cost $50 to $100 to replace the stem so I'd factor that into my final price. I agree with what litup says about the collectible value being effective. Personally I couldn't care less if the stem is a replacement or not but "serious" collectors probably would.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Depends on the pipe and your asking price. It will cause hesitation for some collectors but not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.