PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
The title pretty much says it all. I should be getting some estate pipes in. Is it necessary to break those in with partial bowls? I've heard several reasons for doing this 1 being bottom cake build up which would make me think you would need to break it in. But the other reason I've read is so that it slowly introduces moisture into the briar...which would make me think it's not so necessary. Your thoughts?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
An estate has usually been smoked. Why would it need to be broken in? Unless the seller has reamed it to the wood,which IMO should never be done, it needs no breaking in.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
yup true nuff mate. but i clean mine to the wood. It's just cause i dont want anything havin to do with someone else's mouth, breath etc. remaining. Im just fussy that way. So then i gotta break it in like new again. Just my preference is all

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I don't think I knew that was a key thing with a new pipe

Mind you I think it's key (-:
The old Linkman I cleaned up was taken to bare wood in the chamber only as a last resort.

Ya'll saw the pics of what I had to start with so....

But on the whole, I too try to not do that when cleaning an estate.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
An estate has usually been smoked. Why would it need to be broken in? Unless the seller has reamed it to the wood,which IMO should never be done, it needs no breaking in
+1

bostonpipe

Lurker
Oct 11, 2009
Boston,MA
With estate pipes I give them a therough cleaning and I do take them down to the wood (I want a cake to form based on my tobacco choices). Sometimes I might go through 30-40 q-tips and a pack of pipe cleaners(especially cleaning out the shank) with a new estate pipe acquistion.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd say no break-in, but you will probably have some ghosting that will take a few bowls to smoke out. I usually smoke some Burley in new and/or estate pipes that have been reamed. It's the least evasive tobacco and builds cake fast.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
yup true nuff mate. but i clean mine to the wood. It's just cause i dont want anything havin to do with someone else's mouth, breath etc. remaining. Im just fussy that way. So then i gotta break it in like new again. Just my preference is all

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.