PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
If you know your stuff or even kind of know your stuff, ebay or dealing with the owner directly is the ticket. I have always gotten the best deals, the most variety, etc., this way. The vendors take the risk out of it for you as you get a decent idea of what you are buying most times. You pay more for that.

That is how I look at the estate market.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
When people are buying estate pipes, what do you do if they're ghosted?
Buy from one of the site sponsors if you want an estate in an already cleaned condition
Also members put up pipes for sale regularly

EBay and Etsy can be a crap shoot. Some vendors do a great job of cleaning. Most do not.
I've received pipes that look great on the outside but the airways were absolutely filthy.
It takes me a lot more time and effort getting the airways clean. The chambers are the easy part.

There are a heap of threads/posts/advice on cleaning estate pipes and getting rid of ghosts
Just use the search function on the right of the toolbar at the top of the page.
Rebornpipes also has lots of advice, accompanied with before and after pics if you really want to get into cleaning up estates.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
mbsdpipes.com is also a good one

Check out PKPIPES on eBay!

This is a good seller, I purchased a couple of pipes from him a while back so I have his store in my watch list. He just reduced prices on all of his listings significantly. Not affiliated and not vouching, just sharing info.
I was curious, so I clicked on the link and saw an "early Dunhill" calabash listed at $4670 and change and looked at the makers mark. It's not a Dunhill stamp. It's an AD inside a lozenge shape. Dunhill is an AD inside a diamond shape. Also, the city hallmark is for Birmingham while the Dunhill city hallmark for pipes is for London.

Doing some more diligence I found one makers mark listing does show some Dunhill product with a Birmingham stamp, not for pipes but for other items, like cigarette cases, letter openers, and other accoutrements which they may have had made for them. I would be cautious about his attributions.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I have bought from both Blue Room Briars and Mkelaw Pipes, in fact I just bought another from Mkelaw.
I highly recommend both.

Reactions: RonB

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today I bought two used pipes that I’ll clean up ten minutes after they arrive.

$16 delivered Marxman

IMG_5376.jpegIMG_5380.jpeg

$18 delivered Marxman

IMG_5397.jpegIMG_5399.jpeg

When I’m through they’ll look like these, and be a source of pride for anyone to own and enjoy.

IMG_5409.jpeg
img_5388-jpeg.259043

img_5389-jpeg.259044
IMG_5389.jpeg
IMG_5391.jpeg
IMG_5388.jpeg
The first thing I’ll do the same as I did all the other large Marxman pipes I own is get out a bottle of Everclear (vodka also works, as does drugstore rubbing alcohol) and clean them up inside and outside. I use all the pipe cleaners it takes (sometimes a bunch) soaked in Everclear to clean the airway until they come out white. If the bore hole won’t pass a doubled pipe cleaner I drill it out. If there’s varnish (which is an abomination on any briar pipe) I take it all off using 4/0 steel wool. If the stem is oxidized I use Everclear and steel wool until it’s black again. If there’s lava on the bowl rim use steel wool until there’s bare briar.

Clean them up, first!

Then take a sharp pocket knife, and soak the bowl in Everclear. Take 100% of all the old carbon off, leaving bare briar. This can take several tries, but don’t stop until it’s gone!

Just a drop, not too much, of grapeseed oil on a paper towel will make any pipe glow for a few months. It’s temporary. You can’t hurt briar with grapeseed oil. Any excess towels off.

Use Obsidian oil on the clean rubber stem. It’s miraculous, but doesn’t last forever.

Now, after it’s all nice and pretty, if there’s a ghost Five Brothers, Kendall #7, or Brown Bogie or other industrial strength straight tobacco will chase away most ghosts. Maybe I’ll use cotton bolls soaked in Everclear overnight for several days to help evict the ghost. Most pipes are not badly ghosted anyway.

This Super Giant 12” WDC Wellington was varnished and caked up and looked like the devil had smoked it a hundred years in hell when I bought it.

IMG_5410.jpeg

It’s among my prettiest and best smokers now.

IMG_5411.jpeg

No matter the brand stamped on a pipe it’s a hunk of briar and a black rubber stem.

I think ancient Algerian briar like all the above pipes are fashioned from is best, but there never has been any bad Mediterranean briar, it was all good.

My last advice is try and buy the largest used pipes on the market.

Until about fifty or sixty years ago the standard sized American pipes could be bought for fifty cents or a dollar. Those got rode hard and put away wet, and most have been tossed.

Really large pipes always cost ten times, or twenty times, or more what the cheapest cost. They likely smoked better when new, because the makers used their best briar, and the odds of them being carefully smoked and not abused are higher as we find them today.

And have fun.

The $34 I spent today on used pipes would not buy the cheapest new name brand pipe for sale, and when my trophies at last I lay down my kids can surely get $25 each for em’ if they advertise them on the forum.:)

Last edited:

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I’ve bought most of my estate pipes on eBay but it really is a crapshoot unless you buy from the best of the best sellers, in which case prices are much higher. I recently bought a beautiful Savinelli Autograph on eBay for about $100 less than I would have paid from a more professional pipe seller. However, it has terrible Lakeland ghosting that I’ve spent countless hours trying to get rid of. I’ve told myself “never again” will I buy on eBay. But it depends how risk adverse you are.

Next time I’ll buy from Mkelaw from whom I’ve gotten great pipes at reasonable prices.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Most of my estate pipes came from brick and mortar antique or thrift stores. I don't know enough about pipes to trust my viewing pictures online. But at the store I can pick it up and touch it. I can see the condition and whether I feel is worth the efforts to bring up to smoking condition.

Also, you have one heck of a resource here with us. Keep a eye on the Pipes for Sale section. Maybe put a WTB ad out (if you meet the requirements) if you know what you want?

Reactions: Briar Lee

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
Woodsroad, I just now saw the kitty on your shoulder but not in the previous many sightings, She's beautiful, and you appear to like her perch. My kitty is on my shoulder daily, adding to my day with purring, nuzzling my ear and her acrobatics as she changes her position.

Reactions: Briar Lee