PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Doubt you'll find any low end estates at the few remaining NYC shops. Estates pipes in most of the East coast shops I visit are over-priced, but convenient.

Definitely attend the NYC pipe club meeting in Soho, members always have great pipes to sell/trade, but I'd get to know them first.

The NYC show in NJ will have a multitude of options for you in every price range, definitely don't miss that (tobacco as well).

And of course the classified section here usually has good offerings.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I also live in the city, and concur, not many estates to be found in B&M stores as mentioned above. Those shops all sell new pipes. FWIW, Barclay Rex does sell their house pipes, or they use to. Algerian briar, standard shapes, mostly smooth, and decent prices for a new pipe from good briar. Might be worth a stop to see. As others have stated, online the fleabay are your friends.

Jan 27, 2020
I know it’s not a particularly valuable pipe but I cannot find any Stanwell Royal Guard 95s for sale online in the USA. I am really taken with the size and low key style of that’s pipe. Can anyone direct me to similar models?

Jan 27, 2020
Doubt you'll find any low end estates at the few remaining NYC shops. Estates pipes in most of the East coast shops I visit are over-priced, but convenient.

Definitely attend the NYC pipe club meeting in Soho, members always have great pipes to sell/trade, but I'd get to know them first.

The NYC show in NJ will have a multitude of options for you in every price range, definitely don't miss that (tobacco as well).

And of course the classified section here usually has good offerings.

Yes, just my luck that I decided to get into pipes a month from the show. Do these sort off events often have tobacco not easily in stock online?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Online try smokingpipes.com, Rossi pipes, a subset of Savinelli. You can get various classic Savinelli shapes in the Vittoria series for about forty five bucks, solid quality.

Jan 27, 2020
Online try smokingpipes.com, Rossi pipes, a subset of Savinelli. You can get various classic Savinelli shapes in the Vittoria series for about forty five bucks, solid quality.

Thanks, they don’t seem to have one in stock at the moment at that price but I’ll keep checking.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I was at Barclay Rex a couple of weeks ago and they do have a selection of estate pipes though most are in rough shape - heavily caked, chewed up stems, etc. They even have a handful of old Dunhills but the ones I inspected had small cracks in their shanks. There was a Ropp Cherrywood that caught my eye but my pipe restoration skills are sorely lacking and, frankly, I'm too lazy to put the work in to get it to a condition I'd be happy with. This being said, you might find a good smoker in the lot but you'll have to be willing to do the work to get it in decent shape. They did have a few unsmoked house brand pipes but, as I recall, they had a fair amount of fills. Still, it'd be worth the trip if only to visit an old school NYC tobacconist and maybe even pick up a few ounces of their house blends. The staff is very welcoming. Jimmy, the elder statesman of the crew, talked to me for about an hour about cigars.

Jan 27, 2020
I was at Barclay Rex a couple of weeks ago and they do have a selection of estate pipes though most are in rough shape - heavily caked, chewed up stems, etc. They even have a handful of old Dunhills but the ones I inspected had small cracks in their shanks. There was a Ropp Cherrywood that caught my eye but my pipe restoration skills are sorely lacking and, frankly, I'm too lazy to put the work in to get it to a condition I'd be happy with. This being said, you might find a good smoker in the lot but you'll have to be willing to do the work to get it in decent shape. They did have a few unsmoked house brand pipes but, as I recall, they had a fair amount of fills. Still, it'd be worth the trip if only to visit an old school NYC tobacconist and maybe even pick up a few ounces of their house blends. The staff is very welcoming. Jimmy, the elder statesman of the crew, talked to me for about an hour about cigars.

Thank you for the update I will certainly be visiting sometime soon. Have you bought any tobacco there? Oddly I’ve tried to visit their website and it redirects me to some strange page.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Thank you for the update I will certainly be visiting sometime soon. Have you bought any tobacco there? Oddly I’ve tried to visit their website and it redirects me to some strange page.
The first pipe tobacco I ever purchased was at the Barclay Rex 42nd St. location which, sadly, has since closed. It was their Maravilla house blend which is very similar to 1Q. I visited their current location for the first time last year and was very lucky to pick up an 8oz bag of each of Penzance and Stonehaven as they just happened to have them on hand. On my most recent trip I picked up some of their house Virginia flake but have not yet sampled any. It seems that most of their house brand tobaccos are English blends.

Reactions: vates
Status
Not open for further replies.