PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Not a lot of pipe shops left in the city. You're better off ordering some corn cobs to get you started.

Thank you for the reply, I will likely just order a sub $70 Stanwell I’ve been eying online... just figured I would check to see if someplace offered something similar in that price range in person. Cash is still king to me.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you for the reply, I will likely just order a sub $70 Stanwell I’ve been eying online... just figured I would check to see if someplace offered something similar in that price range in person. Cash is still king to me.

I understand where you're coming from but with the NYS and NYC tax on tobacco products you're much better off ordering online. Even with its inevitable pitfalls will be a better value proposition.

Jan 27, 2020
I understand where you're coming from but with the NYS and NYC tax on tobacco products you're much better off ordering online. Even with its inevitable pitfalls will be a better value proposition.

I know well about the tax on actually tobacco but don’t think it also applies to paraphernalia? I likely will just order from one of the well know sites as I have seen things I can afford and they seem to go to great lengths describing the condition etc., likely beyond what I would be able to determine with my limited experience in person.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I believe that Bishop's pipes is located in NYC, but I think he only sells online. He also restores them himself and while most are pretty good, sometimes he gets overzealous with the buffing wheel and ruins the button. Might be worth looking into.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The best estate pipe selection you'll find in the area will be at the New York Pipe Show March 14th 2020 at the Wyndham Garden Newark Liberty Airport.
?

March 14, 2020: New York Pipe Show, The Sam Barnett Memorial & 28th ANNUAL PIPE CONVENTION
SHOW OPEN TO THE PUBLIC @ 10:00 AM (Exhibitor Set up @ 8 AM)
WYNDHAM NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HOTEL
Phone: 1-973-824-4000
Parking is Free – get stamp or ticket at show or front desk

SPECIAL Hotel ROOM RATES Ask the front desk about THE PIPE SHOW DISCOUNT

Jan 27, 2020
I believe that Bishop's pipes is located in NYC, but I think he only sells online. He also restores them himself and while most are pretty good, sometimes he gets overzealous with the buffing wheel and ruins the button. Might be worth looking into.

Thank you for that—I checked out his IG and with prices like that it seems worth the risk!

The best estate pipe selection you'll find in the area will be at the New York Pipe Show March 14th 2020 at the Wyndham Garden Newark Liberty Airport.
?

March 14, 2020: New York Pipe Show, The Sam Barnett Memorial & 28th ANNUAL PIPE CONVENTION
SHOW OPEN TO THE PUBLIC @ 10:00 AM (Exhibitor Set up @ 8 AM)
WYNDHAM NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HOTEL
Phone: 1-973-824-4000
Parking is Free – get stamp or ticket at show or front desk

SPECIAL Hotel ROOM RATES Ask the front desk about THE PIPE SHOW DISCOUNT

That’s exciting news. Guess I will just pick up a “beater” until then...

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
If you have patience, eBay is pretty solid. Steals do pop up every so often. I recently got a Savinelli Punto Oro straight brandy for 23 dollars. Was badly caked, and the rim was damaged from reaming in a small 2mm area, but after doing 2 salt alcohol treaments to purge the Captain Black Cherry from it and scrubbing the oxidation off the stem with toothpaste for an hour, it smokes very well already and I hope will only get better. I tried antique shops in new york city with no luck, there was a beaten up Connoisseur straight billiard, very large, for 33 dollars but it was a bit too steep for me since I didn't know what that pipe was worth. Figures, since Connoisseur was in NYC if I remember correctly. But yeah, I think buying in person is way too difficult to get a killer deal, perhaps the pipe show is the exception, I've never been to one. Ebay is king for steals, but there are a *ton*, and I do mean a *ton*, of bad smokers on eBay in the "beater pipe" range. It's a pipe graveyard, in some sense. You can throw away lots of money for nothing, or you can get away with highway robbery. Speaking of beater pipes, the ebay seller named "beaterpipes" has given me 2 great smokers so far, off brands: 1 Straight bulldog marked "Golden age", which could be a Comoy's Golden Age unmarked since from what I've seen, the stamp is near identical. The grain is gorgeous. 12 dollars. And also, a less known brand CB Perkins gold band prince which I smoke as I type this-- nice looking pipe and a decent smoker, also 12 dollars. I think you need to be extremely picky and do a lot of research as to which pipe seconds are, what people say about offbrands, and so on.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I live in NYC. The old timey pipe shops are gone. I feel the loss especially when my pipe itch starts to kick in. Etsy and eBay have come to my rescue, but it's def not like buying a 3-D pipe after holding it in your hands. I really like to see what I'm buying. Pictures ain't worth a thousand words when it comes to pipe purchases.

Good luck with your pipe quests.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Only pipe shops left in NY are barclay rex downtown as someone said and Nat Sherman (really more of a cigar shop) on 42nd. No idea about their estate pipe selections. There is a pipe and cigar place in Ridgewood NJ that has a fair selection of new pipes -- not sure about estate pipes. Nat Sherman has some nice bulk blends, very few tins. That's it as far as I know. I was quite surprised to find virtually no brick and mortar stores in NY or NJ when I started pipe smoking a few years ago. Kind of sad.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd sure call Nat Sherman. They have some senior staff pipe men behind the counter still, I believe, and they may well have some estate pipes to discuss. 1-800-mycigar.

Jan 27, 2020
Thanks once again for all the considerate replies, too numerous to reply to individually but plenty to go on. I had planned to check Davidoff, Barclay Rex and Nat Sherman after I got my pipe, I didn’t expect any of those to offer any bargains if they did carry estate pipes. I thought some member might of perhaps known of some small eccentric shop but considering how New York City is these days (glossed over and buffed clean of most of its character) I didn’t have high hopes. I will likely just go the online route.

On one last note: I am very well aquatinted with the thrift stores in NYC, a couple stores that use to be on the Upper East Side such as The Jewish League Thrift Shop which might of put pipes out from time to time are sadly closed, pushed out, all but forgotten like a lot of places around here...

Reactions: vates and jpmcwjr

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.