PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
Recently got a great Castello Sea Rock estate pipe off of eBay. The pipe is great and the seller did a great job cleaning/ restoring the pipe. I noticed that the inside walls of the pipe were smooth as marble. Now as I smoke it (and it smokes great) there is a really funny aftertaste that I can't describe, but it is very noticeable. Is this because the guy who restored it filed down (for lack of a better term) the wood on the inside (?) and is there anyway to make this go away? Thanks!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I always make a good habit to run a couple pipe cleaners through the stem ( one wet w booze and a dry one afterwards ) and wipe down the bowl with at least a paper towel before smoking any new pipe, wheter factory new or just new to me ..... that could have something to do with it.
You might have to do the salt-and-alcohol-in-the-bowl treatment on it .... or just wipe down the inside of the bowl with booze and let it dry thoroughly

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
I have run pipe cleaners with booze on them through the stem and that did not work. Will try wiping the bowl with booze tonight. Thanks.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
You're welcome. If the stem is still smelly, try cleaning with or soaking in some concentrated lemon juice. I wouldn't do that on the bowl though.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
My problem I think is in the bowl. There is a weird non-tobacco smell in there and I can tast it as I smoke and it is driving me nuts.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
If booze doesn't work, you can smoke the aftertast out by using the strongest tobacco that you like. It may take a few bowls to do it, the salt treatment will work if all else fells

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks, gents. I am burning some Key Largo in it as I type. But this aftertast is an insult to Mr. Pease's creation!!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
you can smoke the aftertast out by using the strongest tobacco that you like
Yup. Load up some Irish Flake. Or a Balkan blend.
IMHO with Irish Flake, you'll forget that there is any aftertaste :puffpipe:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
It is in the shank mate for sure. Ya have to clean the shank, chances are it seems clean but it isn't. I had one here last week that I got as estate and it took me 2 alochol soaks and over 30 Q-tips, then I used raw alochol and 20 or so pipe cleaners before I could smoke it. The shank is definitely where your smell is coming from. Many ppl on here do not agree with water, but I have used boiling water for yrs and you would be surprised at how it will loosen shank rot up. You will find your Q-tip comes out almost tarry. Take a sniff, same smell as you have been experiencing.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Did he ream the bowl to bare wood? Could be some ghosting in the bowl if not. Or as nsfisher said it is in the shank. Get some wire bristle pipe cleaners and some regs and go to town with the booze. Ive had estates with both issues

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Something that a forum member told me when I had a problem with a pete was, and smoke 5 or 6 bowls of prince albert through it. I rarley see it mentioned as a way to clense pipes anymore, but it sure worked for me, and I continue to use it. It definitely helps restore better flavor to a sour pipe.
Sounds stupid and useless but since my pete, I try this first everytime and it usually works

roguefox

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Is there an alternative from alcohol? The campus I am on does not allow alcohol, but I would like something strong that does the same job! Would the alcohol used for cuts/scrapes/infections be sufficient for the job nisher descibes?

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
Nsfisher--you were right. Problem was in the shank. The pipe has a military bit and therefore there is a peice of lucite that goes over the shank to absorb the bit. I pulled that off and it was a nightmare in there. I think the weird taste was lakeland essence because it wreaked of that soapy essence which I hate. It grosses me out to think I was smoking out of it. Anyhow...booze, q-tips and pipe cleaners seems to have worked wonders. Thanks again for your insight. thbg

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the tip, nsfisher. I was amazed at how dirty those q-tips came out on the first run. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.