PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony767

Lurker
Dec 25, 2017
Hello, everyone.
I am currently considering my first estate pipe purchase and need a little advice. The one I am interested in rates a 4.75/5 and has "mild charring at the bottom of the chamber".
Is this charring anything to be worried about? It's from a very reputable vendor.
Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Tony

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tony, I have bought quite a few estate pipes in my time and I always stay away from pipes that have any type of charring in the chamber. There are just too many pristine estate pipes out there to settle for less. It sounds like this is a pipe from SP. I have bought plenty of estates from them and none have had charring in the chamber, even mild charring. If you would like some help choosing a pipe, please feel free to ask on this thread or through the private message system.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Minor charring at the rim, I would not really care about. Charring in the lower chamber walls would be more of a concern, but even that can be addressed. My question would be is this pipe worth the trouble to you.

tony767

Lurker
Dec 25, 2017
Thanks, Guys. Yes, it is a pipe from SP and I think I'll follow your advice and hold out for a pristine pipe as you recommend.
I'm definitely not the most experienced smoker and would hate to end up worsening an issue that already exists.
However, I must say I really appreciate SP for noting it on their website so anyone (especially a noob) can ask before buying :D

tony767

Lurker
Dec 25, 2017
Yeah, it was charring at the bottom of the chamber so that's what flagged it enough for me to ask. I've never experienced a "burn out" but have seen some terrible pictures and would rather not chance it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes.com is about the most credible retail source for estate pipes online. The description and scoring of the pipes is critical and objective. I'd trust their sanitation about like the tableware in a good restaurant. I'd feel free to phone and discuss any questions, and I believe they would be welcoming and accurate. That said, I'd pass on the charring in the bowl. I have scores of pipes, some treated better than others, mostly bought new but not all, but none of them has charring in the bowl. It could be nothing, or it could be a process. Pipe mud or another repair might fix it, but why do you want to buy a fix-it project? Go for something with no problems, other than minor cosmetic ones, or none.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since you're not buying it, a link to it would be interesting to those of us following the thread.
Is it this one? Link to Teipen estate pipe
004-009-9880_2.jpg

tony767

Lurker
Dec 25, 2017
Yep, that's the one! If not for the issue (and not trusting I could repair myself) I would totally go for it. I love the shape

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Damm nice pipe. I'd trust buying it from SP anyday. I'd call them up and inquire further about its conditon. Honesty I can't see them selling a boogered up pipe for 225...whether it be filled with pipe mud or damaged severely. I'd also bet they'd let you return it should you not like it.

tony767

Lurker
Dec 25, 2017
Being such a noob, I'm not sure what to ask. I also wonder if they would honestly be able to say that it could not become an issue in the future, you know.
Now, I generally struggle a bit to smoke ALL they way to the bottom, but if there was a fix that was simple enough that could almost ensure it wouldn't progress any further, it could be worth it. I'd be saving about $100 over a new one, but at $225 it's still not a cheap pipe....but I could just keep saving and buck up for a new one.... :roll: :?:
Any suggestions on what to ask if I call?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The thing with charred chamber walls is that there can be deeper cracks in the wood, leading off the charred areas. While this can be addressed with a silicate coating, it also means that you will need to baby the pipe, smoking extra extra slowly to keep temperatures down, while building up a protective layer of cake.

tony767

Lurker
Dec 25, 2017
I didn't think of that. Now I'm a little scared. I can definitely smoke slowly, as I'm finding out how much more flavor I get from my tobacco, however, for that kind of money, I'd rather be worry free.
Thanks for sharing the knowledge!!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'd suggest calling SP. Ask to speak with Chuck Stanion, the fellow responsible for the evaluation of that pipe. They won't buy estates with significant flaws. Occasionally they do repairs like creating new stem, but they list those in a separate Pipe Rescue section and include REPAIR in the heading of the listing. That said, it's not inexpensive and you'll really want peace of mind to completely enjoy your pipe. Unless you're 100% comfortable, have patience and wait for the right pipe to come along. It won't be long.
Gorgeous pipe, BTW.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine Smoking Pipes grading the pipe 4.75 out of 5 if there was actually a defect or flaw in the pipe. If there were real concerns about deep charring and/or burnout in the bowl; I can't imagine the pipe getting an almost perfect score. If the pipe had issues I can't see them selling it at $200+ and not mentioning the issue in further detail. I agree with the others, and suggest calling if you're really interested in getting the pipe.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't know about that pipe specifically, but here's what I know about SP and their "used pipes".
I sent 16 pipes to them, because I was thinning my herd. They were all smoked by me and were all in good shape, by my standards.
They offered me a fair price on 15 of them and rejected one of them. I was shocked, but I appreciate and trust their standards.
Also I've purchased several estate pipes from them and I could not be happier with their sales and service practices.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love SP and how they run their business, but I would be very careful of estate pipes with issues from them. I see some pretty poor pipes being listed in the estate section. Spider webbing,over reamed bowls, bowl charring ect.
I looked at buying that pipe you like as I have one from Wayne and love it. I passed because of the pipes issue and never looked at it again. I see no reason to buy estates with issues when there are just too many good ones too chose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.