PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I was able to pick up some estates along with a single pipe stand and a five pipe rack with tobacco jar. I gave $80 for the lot which may have been too much but I figured it would be worth it to practice my restorations. From left to right they are a Dr. Grabow Starfire, in good shape and drilled well. Kaywoodie White Briar, tiny bowl, skinny stem. Kaywoodie Sta??? Good shape other than the bowl being almost caked shut. Falcon. Kaywoodie Campus, good shape but also tiny with a very skinny stem. The jar lid says Chicago Motor Club A.A.A.

image-8_zps661e1824.jpg

This pipe was the whole reason I was interested in the lot. It's a Savinelli Lollo. My first Savinelli! Seems to be in good shape. Can't wait to clean it up and smoke it!

image-8_zps1013a2a3.jpg

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
Always wondered how the leather would hold up on a pipe, with the heat and all.

Keep us posted, looks nice for the bunch.

Congratulations

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I am wondering the same thing. If the leather wasn't in such good shape I would pull it off and shine it up, but I think I am going to leave it. An odd thing about this lot is that they all, except for the Falcon and the Sav, have stingers that screw in. I have never had one like that.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
The Sta is probably a Kaywoodie standard good catch on those Kaywoodies and the Sav if you want to know more about them there is a collectors site http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/index.php

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
The Savinelli alone is worth the price of admission. I'd recommend a light wiping with some mink oil to keep it in good shape. Good score!

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
Id say jerk all the stingers and then smoke em, but with threaded I might be worried about goo collecting in those threads over time

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nice haul, Rosney. Do you have a pipe reaming tool? That's money well spent if you're charting a course in the estate arena.
Sound off about the Lolo, okay? I've got three Savs now and find myself gravitating towards them on a right regular basis.
Fnord

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Good gravy leave the stingers where they are if you dont like stingers I'm sure we could work something out.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
You guys sure know how to make a guy feel good about spending his money! Thats one of the reasons that post pictures after I make a purchase haha.
I plan to leave the stingers. Since I have no experience with them yet I don't have any ill will towards them. I am going to pick up a reaming tool tonight since I have a few pipes to do now and that would be better than what I have been using previously.
A few of these might be my first pipes to put on Briar Bid. I will let everyone know if they go up there. I have a friend that is just getting into the hobby that might be interested too.
As to the White Briar, is that just paint on there over wood? If so what would be a good way to clean it up?

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
It is just wood and the best way to clean it is to have a super fine touch with a buffer as it is really easy to strip the paint off. I have done a few but then again I have been rocking buffer work for 20+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.