PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Hi guys,
What would you recommend for pipe cleaners for a bent stem pipe. I have only used tapered ones so far and am placing an order. I was going to basically order a variety but don't necessarily want to buy ones that I won't use. I'm curious what the vets here would recommend?
Thanks.
:puffy:

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Thanks guys! rothnh, those were the ones I was just looking at. Perfect. Although my MM Legend seems pretty tight at the bent stem. Usually I can only get the smaller end of the tapered ones (Mac Baren) that I have down the button end. Do you guys figure those will still be passable?

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Jud:
It can help sometimes if you bend the cleaner before you put it through your bent stem pipe.
I have been trying to do that but noticed it sometimes worked, othertimes it didn't with the narrow passage on my MM Legend Bent. Which takes me to roth's point...
rothnh:
Also, even though I love the BJ Long Extra Absorbents, like most pipe cleaners, I have to pay attention to the ends -- the way they "clip" them, the ends often are crimped so they can scrape the inside of the stem and even get "stuck" in there. So I make sure the ends are flat and straight before using.
I have just been noticing this recently. Sometimes they slip right in, othertimes they jam into a corner at the bend, scraping the inside of the stem. Maybe I will have to keep a pair of mini pliers near my pipe cleaners so I can ensure they are good and straight. I can get the Mac Baren tapered ones I received as a sample, part of the way down the stem, but I don't think I have ever been able to pass one from button to bowl. That observation has made me question me inclination towards mostly if not only bent pipes.

:?

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I just use plain old Brigham regular cleaners, work fine for me. I also have a 24 pack of the bristled Brigham ones at hand as well.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Thanks for the pointers guys. I just "pulled the trigger" on my first real order:
1 Bjarne Viking Classic Red Polished Pipe - Apple

1 Corn Cob Great Dane Straight Pipe - Spool

1 Corn Cob Missouri Pride Pipe - Straight (Need some options in case I get a particularly strong blend.)

1 Nording Beagle (1.75oz)

1 Hearth & Home Black House Bulk (by the ounce) (Just had to see what all the fuss was about.)

6 Pipe Cleaner - BJ Long's Medium Pipe Cleaners (bundle) (YELLOW LABEL)

2 Pipe Cleaner - BJ Long's Bristled Pipe Cleaners (bundle) (WHITE LABEL)

1 Pipe Cleaner - PipesandCigars Pipe Cleaner Sleeve

1 Pipe Tool - Wire Shank Brush (5 pack)
And of course:

1 2013 Pipe Calendar Free-Item : Only with 2013 Pipe Calendar
All shipped to my door for $113. I can't wait. That would have cost at least $500 here, if I could actually find all that stuff locally. Now I need some strong spirits for cleaning and some small jars for storage. Then accessories, PAD, TAD and repeat...
:lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I buy the tapered Bristle BJ Longs in the 80 count, the Tapered extra fluffy BJ Long in the 100 count from p&c at 1.99 per package, that is the best price on the net that I have found. I also buy the box of Dills pipe cleaners that come 32 to a package for any thinner pipe stem I have and for the convenience of the to go aspect of those packages. I keep the dills in my car and I have them on my person when I may be out and about.
These are the Dill's. http://pipesandcigars.com/diprpicl.html#.UPRfrCdEE4c
The BJ Long Bristle. http://pipesandcigars.com/bjlobrpicl8b.html#.UPRf1CdEE4c
The BJ Long extra fluffy. http://pipesandcigars.com/bjlotapicl.html#.UPRf9ydEE4c
I searched everywhere to find the most economic and best priced packages of pipe cleaners because I go through thousands of them. I think the BJ Longs are the highest quality of the ones I have tried.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@cigmaster adding all to my next order, bent is my favor stem, easier to type with them. I spend about 8 hours a day at the keyboard, and about 6 bowls so cleaning is an issue.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
My order still has not come in, but I only had 2 pipe cleaners remaining. I was at one of my local B&M's (only an hour away) and found that they carry BJ Longs. Not only that, but they were the one thing that was not astronomically overpriced at only $2.17 with tax. So I grabbed a small bundle (36) of the Yellow Labels. They are about twice the diameter as the Mac Barren ones that I got free with my first pipe and the wire is similar rigidity or better. However they pass right through my stem just as easily and being twice as fluffy, they grab a lot more moisture and goop. I am reassured now considering I ordered 6 bundles of 56 and 2 bundles of the bristly ones.
:D

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Yeah roth, my order is on its way from P&C. Only it is stuck currently in Canadian Customs. I hope it clears soon as I am running out of tobacco. My funds were limited this time around. But I did purchase three pipes. My next order will likely be less about pipes and more about tobacco. I too could see myself ordering a lot more pipe cleaners next time. But this was my first order and I had yet to hold a Longs product in my hand, so I didn't want to go too gung-ho until I knew I would like them. Your advice was spot on though, thanks for that.
:worship:

Aug 14, 2012
Longs regular. Bend the tip just right and it will go down most pipes. Not Petersons, of course, so for those I use Longs fluffy (wider) cleaners, after removing the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.