PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
If I owned a tobacco shop, it'd be hard not to gouge a little on stuff with high demand.. I'm glad they didn't, but makes me wonder what prevents it.
Nothing prevents a B&M from price gouging. You just lose your loyal customer base. No customers equals no business. Plain and simple.

My local B&M decided to price Esoterica and Germain's at secondary market prices. Lost me as a customer.

Why bother supporting a local B&M that prefers to sell to someone across the US by mail order once a year than a local customer that comes in more frequently. To each their own.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I picked up a couple each of Tilbury, Dunbar, and Dorchester. Been a while since I bought any esoterica but they were available at Mars for a fair price so I figured why not. I don't really search out Eso anymore but I do enjoy their Virginia's.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Dare I ask--is that it? It's over? Until. . .the next two-six hour window sometime in winter?

Having last bought Esoterica on a regular basis back in that golden age when, yes, gasp. . . tins, even bags if you can believe it, of Penzance and Stonehaven--my own favorites just like everyone else-- might remain openly displayed and available for purchase for months.

Or is this how a "drop" works? . . . with little advance warning, at least as I imagine it, a fleet of unmarked armored Brinks trucks simultaneously pulls up at comparative handful of selected retailers across the continent, and in dead of night unloads the season's small (and somewhat random) stock. And accordingly I must now abandon all hope that a single bag or tin of either of these two might still turn up somewhere over the next few days.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Dare I ask--is that it? It's over? Until. . .the next two-six hour window sometime in winter?

Having last bought Esoterica on a regular basis back in that golden age when, yes, gasp. . . tins, even bags if you can believe it, of Penzance and Stonehaven--my own favorites just like everyone else-- might remain openly displayed and available for purchase for months.

Or is this how a "drop" works? . . . with little advance warning, at least as I imagine it, a fleet of unmarked armored Brinks trucks simultaneously pulls up at comparative handful of selected retailers across the continent, and in dead of night unloads the season's small (and somewhat random) stock. And accordingly I must now abandon all hope that a single bag or tin of either of these two might still turn up somewhere over the next few days.
Sounds about right