PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like mixed reviews. I sent my last unopened tin to fish'n'banjo in thanks for a meer he sent me, but that was a while back when the blend may have been somewhat different. He said it was one he enjoyed. I need to open a nicely aged tin of Dunhill Navy Rolls, among others in the stash.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why is that? Because you love it an have 700 hundred tins stashed away to sell or because you hate it and say good riddance? :)
I absolutely love Escudo and wish it were still made, but this is just a cheap blend put in a tin with a legendary name on it. And it's been so dumbed down that any resemblance to the real thing is nonexistent. It's a fraud and an insult to actual Escudo. It's the party doll of blends.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I absolutely love Escudo and wish it were still made, but this is just a cheap blend put in a tin with a legendary name on it. And it's been so dumbed down that any resemblance to the real thing is nonexistent. It's a fraud and an insult to actual Escudo. It's the party doll of blends.
interesting as some one new to the Pipe I really enjoy new Escudo I like it better then PS LBF and many other vapors I have tried. I would love to try the old stuff if it is that much better!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been working on some 2008 Escudo I bought from Pipestud years ago. The rest of my stash is from 2012. . I can still hear the chirping of the guys calling me a Pollyanna and that I won't ever have a problem getting my Escudo It looks like I was right again to get my Escudo back then before it was changed or even discontinued.

I learned my lesson for the second time. The first was when I didn't load up on Three Nuns back in 1998. The second time I had to learn my lesson was with Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky as that was always available, and then bang, not seen in the U.S for years. I didn't burned on that one as they re released it in 2016 and I grabbed 100 tins after testing a tin and now for a second or third I can't keep count but DSK is again not available from U.S retailers.

I know I must be boring you to death but heed my warning. If you find a blend you love, you have to go all in and get as many tins as you can. Don't just play with a tin, smoke the shit out of it to see if it is worthy of being in your cellar. Get a list of blends you really want to try an d then go at them hard and fast as the pipe tobacco mfgs, are not like the cigar guys.

I know tat in this market all the good flakes are mostly out of stock. That is partially my fault for always talking them up and putting my list of favorite flakes list on many a web site. I was just trying to share the wealth. I was asked by some friends and from some strangers to please stop posting my list. I did as I was asked but I think the damage was done. Did I say I told you so, hell yes. I was freaking right and I loaded up on some great blends that people never got to try. Stuff like Rotary Navy Cut, Brigham Klondike Gold,: Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. . I have seen how Dunhill got out of the tobacco business and sold some names to Peterson. I have no idea how it compares to the earlier versions. If I were still building my cellar I would be all over Solani 633 and 660 Silver flake. My gut is telling me people who love their flakes are going to be very bummed out
when they see what they like discontinued.

All of you folks f who wait for drops at the big guys is wasting their times. I bought over 50 pounds of SG flakes from a guy and he even gave me a ten % discount. Be prepared to jump on some things and don't hold back. You can always sell some of it and maybe even smoke for me.

Now is the time, you have guys running around chasing their dicks with all this GH stuff that is 5 or so years they will realize it tastes like shite.
People will be begging for my list and it will be available for a price. I believe a first daughter would be a fair tribute to the man with the list.
If that is asking to much then 24kt Kruger lands would do just fine.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Curious how long have you felt this way? My tins are from 2011-2013. That's about as new as I am familiar with and seems good to me. I have not tried anything newer than that.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I have been working on some 2008 Escudo I bought from Pipestud years ago. The rest of my stash is from 2012. . I can still hear the chirping of the guys calling me a Pollyanna and that I won't ever have a problem getting my Escudo It looks like I was right again to get my Escudo back then before it was changed or even discontinued.

I learned my lesson for the second time. The first was when I didn't load up on Three Nuns back in 1998. The second time I had to learn my lesson was with Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky as that was always available, and then bang, not seen in the U.S for years. I didn't burned on that one as they re released it in 2016 and I grabbed 100 tins after testing a tin and now for a second or third I can't keep count but DSK is again not available from U.S retailers.

I know I must be boring you to death but heed my warning. If you find a blend you love, you have to go all in and get as many tins as you can. Don't just play with a tin, smoke the shit out of it to see if it is worthy of being in your cellar. Get a list of blends you really want to try an d then go at them hard and fast as the pipe tobacco mfgs, are not like the cigar guys.

I know tat in this market all the good flakes are mostly out of stock. That is partially my fault for always talking them up and putting my list of favorite flakes list on many a web site. I was just trying to share the wealth. I was asked by some friends and from some strangers to please stop posting my list. I did as I was asked but I think the damage was done. Did I say I told you so, hell yes. I was freaking right and I loaded up on some great blends that people never got to try. Stuff like Rotary Navy Cut, Brigham Klondike Gold,: Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. . I have seen how Dunhill got out of the tobacco business and sold some names to Peterson. I have no idea how it compares to the earlier versions. If I were still building my cellar I would be all over Solani 633 and 660 Silver flake. My gut is telling me people who love their flakes are going to be very bummed out
when they see what they like discontinued.

All of you folks f who wait for drops at the big guys is wasting their times. I bought over 50 pounds of SG flakes from a guy and he even gave me a ten % discount. Be prepared to jump on some things and don't hold back. You can always sell some of it and maybe even smoke for me.

Now is the time, you have guys running around chasing their dicks with all this GH stuff that is 5 or so years they will realize it tastes like shite.
People will be begging for my list and it will be available for a price. I believe a first daughter would be a fair tribute to the man with the list.
If that is asking to much then 24kt Kruger lands would do just fine.
I read about the Orlick Kentucky and really want to try Solani but if course it is sold out everywhere too?. Man it sounds like you have an amazing cellar!!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Curious how long have you felt this way? My tins are from 2011-2013. That's about as new as I am familiar with and seems good to me. I have not tried anything newer than that.
Ever since I opened a tin from 2013. I had let them age for five years before cracking a tin and was disagreeably surprised to discover that it hadn't aged worth a damn. With the A&C Petersen and Gallaher/Copes versions the blend underwent a profound change as the Virginias deepened and the wonderful Perique they used went from a nice white pepper to a luscious fruitiness. I liked the older stuff fresh and aged, and it had a very distinctive flavor profile, unlike the current version.

If you like the current "version" be glad. I'm used to what it was intended to be, not what it's been turned into.

I still have five tins from 2000 and 2001 and will parcel them out over time.

J

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
If I were still building my cellar I would be all over Solani 633 and 660 Silver flake. My gut is telling me people who love their flakes are going to be very bummed out when they see what they like discontinued.

Doesn’t 660 have red Va? I never had it, but may try a tin.

Which GH would taste like shite?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy