briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
ernest-with-pipe.jpg

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
As has been mentioned, Hemingway did dabble in cigarettes a little in his 20's but quit because he said it dulled the sense of taste, and he considered himself as gourmand. I've seen maybe one or two pictures of him with a cigarette but that's been it. He didn't smoke pipes or cigars, which is ironic considering the Hemingway line by AF.

Reactions: mingc

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
try Ulysses by James Joyce (which also includes the second longest sentence in an English language book at 4,391 words[*]).

[*] The longest is 13,955 words long in Jonathon Coe's "The Rotters Club"
Faulkner is akin to Joyce and was heavily influenced. However, I personally feel his stream of consciousness writing is crystal clear when compared to that of Joyce.
I finally finished Ulysses last year during the height of the pandemic. I had started it half a dozen times over the years. Never making it more than 100 or so words. Interesting book, interesting place in history as relating to flow, content and censorship. Personally enjoy W. Faulkner ten fold in comparison.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Faulkner is akin to Joyce and was heavily influenced. However, I personally feel his stream of consciousness writing is crystal clear when compared to that of Joyce.
I finally finished Ulysses last year during the height of the pandemic. I had started it half a dozen times over the years. Never making it more than 100 or so words. Interesting book, interesting place in history as relating to flow, content and censorship. Personally enjoy W. Faulkner ten fold in comparison.
It took me three attempts to read and complete Ulysses but it's a special book for me; around 15 years ago I was going through a very dark patch and medications didn't help (actually made things worse...); but a counsellor I was talking with suggested I should try and concentrate on something I wanted to achieve but would be difficult and time consuming. Yup, I said "I've tried to read Ulysses twice and failed, so that's my goal; to finally complete this book".

Might seem a bit odd but it worked for me and by the time I finally finished the book I had a completely different outlook on life. I'm not claiming that was Joyce's writing; it's just it gave me something to concentrate on and cut out other thoughts.

I'm actually re-reading it (albeit slowly) now but that's just 'cos I want to read it.

I'll have to check out Faulkner.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Anyone ever see an author smoking an Author? Looks like that designation should have gone to the straight Billiard instead of the -too hefty to comfortably clench- chubby bent apple/prince.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
by the time he stopped, days later, his health was seriously undermined.

He only took days to stop? It has taken me a lifetime. Yeah, water!

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
It took me three attempts to read and complete Ulysses but it's a special book for me; around 15 years ago I was going through a very dark patch and medications didn't help (actually made things worse...); but a counsellor I was talking with suggested I should try and concentrate on something I wanted to achieve but would be difficult and time consuming. Yup, I said "I've tried to read Ulysses twice and failed, so that's my goal; to finally complete this book".

Might seem a bit odd but it worked for me and by the time I finally finished the book I had a completely different outlook on life. I'm not claiming that was Joyce's writing; it's just it gave me something to concentrate on and cut out other thoughts.

I'm actually re-reading it (albeit slowly) now but that's just 'cos I want to read it.

I'll have to check out Faulkner.
That’s a great story Mr. Lord of Time. Interesting how time and place can impact our reaction to or impact of a book, music or art.
I’d suggest Absalom, Absalom! Or The Hamlet as good introductions to Faulkner.

Reactions: timelord