Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I recently purchased a bag of Eriksen Keystone filter rocks. These are small, pink, pebble sized grains. I'm told Erik Nording always uses them. You put 3 or 4 in the bottom of the bowl before adding tobacco. They absorb moisture, goop,etc., especially useful if you're a "wet" smoker. Sort of like the Denicotea crystals. I've tried them, and they do result in a drier smoke, and have no adverse effect on flavor. I smoke mostly English type blends. I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience with these. Now here's the thing, I seldom have to run a pipe cleaner through the stem when I'm using them. However, when I do, instead of coming out brown, my pipe cleaners come out black, as if a carbon-like dust were on them. And again, when I clean a pipe in which I've used this product, the cleaners come out pure black, and lots of this black material, and not a trace of brown. It looks like pure carbon, but I wonder what it really is. Anyone on the Forum have any experience with this?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
BUMP ... looking at buying an Eriksen Keystone filter pipe from a member here.
Any experiences? Thanks!

bonneville

Lurker
Aug 14, 2013

Just picked one up at my local baccy-nest. It smokes beautifully!!! Is in fancy? No. Is it classy? NO. But it is exactly what it's supposed to be- a fantastic carefree smoking tool. Definitely not for the collector, but one to grab if you want a flawless smoking experience with no gunk or residue, no slurp, and no waste. Mine was a mere $30 and came with a tin of the Keystones.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff! I'm sure I'll have one in the next couple weeks... :wink:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Alright so I found another thread last night which seemed to have a little more detail, but it must have ran off with the unicorn this morning.
Does anyone know where to find information on this pipe's materials? I would be interested to know if the base is BPA free.
I know, I know, you are smoking why would you care? Normally I don't when it comes to BPAs, but the idea of having a ~200 degree ember directly heating up plastic does raise some questions in my mind.
Otherwise this system looks to be sturdy enough that I would be confident traveling with it.(I have broken too many tenons even with encased pipes that I only travel with cobs now)
Edit: I found the other thread referenced- the current thread seems to pop up easier with outside search engines so I am adding the other to close the circle

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/nording-keystone-pipes#post-743785

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I sent an email to Nording earlier today asking if they had any info.
I thought about it and any canadian style should really have the durability I am looking for due to the longer shank. So for the $10 more I ordered a Stanwell Vario from P and C.
If I hear back from Nording I will update the thread just in case others are interested down the road.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm going to bump this in case anyone has any more info. He was asking about the keystone filters, not the pipes. I'd like to hear some feedback on these as well.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
I love the keystone filters especially in the deep conical Danish style bowls - almost completely eliminates the need for a mid bowl pipe cleaner even with aromatics. I also find they help to keep an open draft throughout the entire smoke.
For only a few bucks I cannot recommend them enough especially when smoking aromatics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.