PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Third bowl in a bent, blasted Ropp Etudiant. I have not dried out any of the bowls, first two were rubbed out to ribbons and this last bowl was cube cut with scissors. Same intense flavor as the first, lots of smoke, well behaved, no bite from any of these. I may try to dry it some next time and see if the sweetness jumps to the front. If you enjoy PSLNF, this Evening Flake is a no brainer.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Ok guys here it is!
View attachment 50998

Evening Flake! Upon opening the package, I could see four rows of neatly stacked flakes in the bag, with the bag taped to form a nice sturdy brick. Kudos to smokingpipes for how they package their flakes. The bag note is very very basic, just bread, grass and a little bit of wood. Not really any sweetness, a contrast to LNF or LTF. The flaked themselves are lighter in color then LNF and look almost identical to comoys cask #4.
View attachment 50999

I dried out a flake on top of my coal stove (speeds the process up quite a bit) until just below crispy. The flake rubs out into broken pieces rather then ribbons and I gravity loaded it just as they were. Lighting was a little finicky, probably because of how chunky I left it, but it wasn't a chore. After getting it settled in I started to concentrate on it. Off the bat, this tobacco surprised me in how sweet it was. From the bag note I was expecting bland grass and hay, but boy it is sweet. Because this is not topped as far as I can tell (I'm judging by the bag note here) I suspect this is higher quality leaf then the PS bulk offerings to achieve that sweetness. It is so sweet in fact, that I don't detect the perique at all. If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was smoking a straight VA. The next thing I noticed was a slight sour maltiness that I taste in capstan blue or dunhill flake, once again leading me to believe they use a high quality VA. Beyond this, it's a normal VA with notes of bread and hay, but really dominated by a sweetness, but it's a natural sweetness. It is one dimensional, but I like my VA that way. If you are looking for perique, I would stick to LNF or comoys cask 4 ( for bulk variety). I like this very much and will be getting more. It burns slow and easy, absolutely no bite. It's a winner!
View attachment 51002
Good review! Thanks.

Reactions: Mr.Mike and BROBS
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I was using one like this...

002-598-8929.7592.jpg

These are small pipes, but it lasted over an hour. I smoke very slow and I tend to put the pipe down and not pick it up for an hour or so later. The tall Dublin-ish bowl on this pipe really intensified the flavors. For $38.00 you cannot lose.

That's my next pipe. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.