PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Interesting... I thought that this 4th Generation line was discontinued a few years ago. I guess not.

I need to revisit these. The last time I tried my way through the line, I wasn't impressed. Maybe they've tweaked them, or maybe my tastes are better now.
Did you try the 1931 flake? It’s a pretty decent VaBur but burley forward flake.

Reactions: Jwebb90

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I have had 2 bowls in 2 different pipes.
The first bowl was in a Ropp Etudiant that was extremely flavorful, my initial reaction was PS Luxury Navy Flake on steroids, with higher quality leaf. These pipes are amazing, old cured, sweet smoking briar in cool shapes at a great price.

The second bowl was in a straight red sandblasted bulldog from James Barber and the flavor was not as intense but still delicious. I bought 40 oz when it was on sale, these are just the scrap flakes from when I was jarring them. Clean ash, easy smoking, sweet, a little perique kick on the retrohale. I am a big fan.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
The first bowl was in a Ropp Etudiant that was extremely flavorful, my initial reaction was PS Luxury Navy Flake on steroids, with higher quality leaf. These pipes are amazing, old cured, sweet smoking briar in cool shapes at a great price.

The second bowl was in a straight red sandblasted bulldog from James Barber and the flavor was not as intense but still delicious. I bought 40 oz when it was on sale, these are just the scrap flakes from when I was jarring them. Clean ash, easy smoking, sweet, a little perique kick on the retrohale. I am a big fan.

Nice little summary - sounds like a winner to me!

I also have 4oz of Evening Flake coming with my C&D sale TAD order, might have to try EF first!

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
You've sold me on buying a couple of Ropps I've had my eyes on. How long do the bowls last you on average in the etudiant?

Thanks for your thoughts on Evening Flake as well, sounds like a buy too.

Reactions: BROBS

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
You've sold me on buying a couple of Ropps I've had my eyes on. How long do the bowls last you on average in the etudiant?

Thanks for your thoughts on Evening Flake as well, sounds like a buy too.
I was using one like this...

002-598-8929.7592.jpg

These are small pipes, but it lasted over an hour. I smoke very slow and I tend to put the pipe down and not pick it up for an hour or so later. The tall Dublin-ish bowl on this pipe really intensified the flavors. For $38.00 you cannot lose.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I was using one like this...

002-598-8929.7592.jpg

These are small pipes, but it lasted over an hour. I smoke very slow and I tend to put the pipe down and not pick it up for an hour or so later. The tall Dublin-ish bowl on this pipe really intensified the flavors. For $38.00 you cannot lose.
Sounds perfect for me. I was thinking of the bent billiard.

1605205574557.png

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

You fucker

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Ok guys here it is!
KIMG0016.JPG

Evening Flake! Upon opening the package, I could see four rows of neatly stacked flakes in the bag, with the bag taped to form a nice sturdy brick. Kudos to smokingpipes for how they package their flakes. The bag note is very very basic, just bread, grass and a little bit of wood. Not really any sweetness, a contrast to LNF or LTF. The flaked themselves are lighter in color then LNF and look almost identical to comoys cask #4.
KIMG0017.JPG

I dried out a flake on top of my coal stove (speeds the process up quite a bit) until just below crispy. The flake rubs out into broken pieces rather then ribbons and I gravity loaded it just as they were. Lighting was a little finicky, probably because of how chunky I left it, but it wasn't a chore. After getting it settled in I started to concentrate on it. Off the bat, this tobacco surprised me in how sweet it was. From the bag note I was expecting bland grass and hay, but boy it is sweet. Because this is not topped as far as I can tell (I'm judging by the bag note here) I suspect this is higher quality leaf then the PS bulk offerings to achieve that sweetness. It is so sweet in fact, that I don't detect the perique at all. If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was smoking a straight VA. The next thing I noticed was a slight sour maltiness that I taste in capstan blue or dunhill flake, once again leading me to believe they use a high quality VA. Beyond this, it's a normal VA with notes of bread and hay, but really dominated by a sweetness, but it's a natural sweetness. It is one dimensional, but I like my VA that way. If you are looking for perique, I would stick to LNF or comoys cask 4 ( for bulk variety). I like this very much and will be getting more. It burns slow and easy, absolutely no bite. It's a winner!
KIMG0018.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.