PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
C&D makes some great latakia blends. I like Mountain Camp, Byzantium. Billy Budd is one if you like some cigar leaf thrown in too.
They also have one called DaVinci that I think is 80% latakia, I have a tin, but haven't had it yet so I can't give my opinion yet on the quality of the smoke. I know there are some forum members here that smoke it regularly.
Gaslight by Pease is my favorite smoke, and Mr. Pease knows how to blend with "the dark weed." His name on the PM forum isn't "Lord Latakia" without reason.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Mississippi Mud

Star of the East

The Aperitif

5 o'clock shadow
Give those a look I like those.
Latakia is hard to press into good flake that's why you see it in crumble cakes, plugs and the like.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Added that to my next order! So far looking like a lat heavy order but I know I'll enjoy it all.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try some C&D Black Frigate too. Not lat heavy, but the sweetness is a nice break between heavy lat smokes. Mac B Plumcake is a nice break as well.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I remember my discovery of latakia, it was like coming home (to my imaginary cabin in the woods).

I have since discovered along the way that I like it only to a certain level however, and only from the afternoon on.

from GLP for example, I LOVE westminster, but i find oddessey a bit too heavy,

I dont tend to like the blends I have tried with a cavendish and latakia (like 965), although a small amount of latakia in a sweet blend, like bobs chocolate flake or macbarens plumcake (yes, i know it has cavendish and i am contradicting myself :) ) is a delicious addition in my opinion.

frog morton original is my go to for that focused flavour without being heavy...

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
H&H Ten to Midnight is a great broken flake. It's not a heavy nic hit but very tasty in the lat department. Also, G.L. Pease Abingdon. Those are two of my faves at the moment.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
@garzanium

Sounds like a tragedy to me, hope you can get back to Latakia blends eventually.
@shanelktown

There's no shortage of Latakia blends from various companies, the tobacco review database returned 500+ entries..

You can try out those full-bodied Latakia, Dunhill Nightcap being the most famous and many people substitute it with Ashton Artisan's Blend. Latakia flake in general tends to be not so full-bodied.

You can also try to see if you can find some of the rarer Latakia blends, such as Butera Pelican, Penzance, etc.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I remember in the early years of my pipesmoking I favored heavy latakia blends. McClelland Bombay Extra and Sobrainie 759 were the best. I believe it was because my technique was such that these blends provided a lot of flavor. Now, I still enjoy latakia but I like it with enough age to soften (or dull) it. These days, Bombay Court from 2002 currently would take the place of Bombay Extra and Our Best Blend, 759. Mostly, a dose of a good Oriental is sufficient nowadays. I never question what I like or worry I like the wrong thing or worry if my tastes change. It seems a natural evolution.
Mike S.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cornell & Diehl's Star of the East is very similar to Penzance, and much easier to get. Congrats on the Pelican, that stuff is harder to get than Penzance.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I'm going to ad gl lease quiet nights as well I saw one member referred to it as similar in strength as penzance... I am curious of how close it is to dunhills nightcap? Because I love that stuff.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Mississippi Mud

Star of the East

The Aperitif

5 o'clock shadow
Give those a look I like those
Just as a note, C&D's - 5 O'clock Shadow doesn't have lat in it. It's a Va/Per with a little Dark Fired thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.