PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I like a lot Ennerdale flake but I never tried Kendall flake. Looking at their composition it looks they have some similarities. So the question is if Kendall flake is different enough to justify to get it and in which way do you feel it is different from Ennerdale.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
If I’m not mistaken, some of the Gawith flakes are the same base with different flavorings added. Kendall is different from Ennerdale, flavoring-wise. It’s closer to Grasmere, in my opinion, if you’ve ever had any of that.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think they're substantially different. Ennerdale is more highly flavored, but is overall more sweet and fruity.

Kendal Flake, as noted above, has rose geranium (very floral), as well as musk flavoring. Plus the flake includes a higher proportion of dark tobaccos. Overall, Kendal flake is more earthy and less sweet, while the scent is more weirdly perfume-like.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Kendal is somewhat similar to Grasmere, they are both flavored with some sort of Rose infusion, if I’m not mistaken. For what it’s worth, I smoke Ennerdale, Grasmere, and the small bit of Kendal I had out of the same pipe. They’re all unique, no doubt, but not worlds apart, at least for my palette.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Kendal Flake is probably my favorite Lakeland at the moment. Starts off with the flavors of Ennerdale, Grasmere, and 1792 all swirling around, with the Grasmere flavor quickly taking the lead. About the time you really start to think you're in for the typical Grasmere ride, a cigar like note takes over and all of the Lakeland florals fade back in the mix. Relights bring an initial Lakeland hit that leans more toward a Bob's Chocolate type flavor that mellows back to cigar-ish tobacco forward goodness fairly quickly. Too many relights late in the game can bring out acrid ashy off-flavors, but halfway conscientious smoking will take you right on to the legendary fine white ash with little-to-no bitterness.

Reactions: pitchfork and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I guess I probably see it as less Lakeland because of how the cigar-like flavor takes over. ?

Reactions: rushx9

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Well, I finally got hand on some Kendall flake. For me it is amazing mainly because the flavoring is changing with every puff. They say there are 10 different flavorings, I cannot distinguish completely all of them but I believe there are so many and really the change from puff to puff is what amaze me. And yes as it was said it is a stronger tobacco than Ennerdale in view of the highest proportion of dark tobacco. Both unique and both great.

Status
Not open for further replies.