PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
#7 Broken Flake is no slouch either. I'd say it's definitely a must try for fans of Ennerdale.

The one i've tried repeatedly and never been able to understand is Grasmere. That shit is 100% rose geranium. We have a family friend with a bush of it growing in their yard and I want to hurl every time I get within 6 feet of that thing. Smells exactly like opening a jar of Grasmere. Recommend for only the most extreme lovers of granny's panty drawer.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have to add it's not grandma perfume to me. It's more old school perfume which I find really quite good. And somehow it still lets the tobacco shine.
The same here. There seems to be an aversion to aromatic tobaccos around this place - I personally believe it the same thing that goes on when men get together to drink beer, smoke cigars, play golf, or cook steaks.

Bravado.

But it's fine with me. It's just important to not get caught up in it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The same here. There seems to be an aversion to aromatic tobaccos around this place - I personally believe it the same thing that goes on when men get together to drink beer, smoke cigars, play golf, or cook steaks.

Bravado.

But it's fine with me. It's just important to not get caught up in it.
I know I prefer more non aromatics but have no issue with them and some of my favorites are aromatics (EGR). I also find a lot of aros are more temperamental then other blends, and don't shine as much if you don't go easy on them.
Also I love the idea that they're what new smokers smoke. And hence long time smokers don't I guess.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I
I know I prefer more non aromatics but have no issue with them and some of my favorites are aromatics (EGR). I also find a lot of aros are more temperamental then other blends, and don't shine as much if you don't go easy on them.
Also I love the idea that they're what new smokers smoke. And hence long time smokers don't I guess.
I think most long time smokers do smoke aromatics. Just like most long term beer drinkers drink beer like Bud Light. But quite a few don't and choose to smoke and drink something a bit more complex. And that is wha tmkaes the world great.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I

I think most long time smokers do smoke aromatics. Just like most long term beer drinkers drink beer like Bud Light. But quite a few don't and choose to smoke and drink something a bit more complex. And that is wha tmkaes the world great.
One of the things I like so much about pipe smoking is the sheer variety of options, which allow me to focus on different aspects of smoking when I feel like it. One I enjoy a ton is Sail Yellow and it's a basic Danish style aromatic. Very smooth and not complex at all. When I just feel like enjoying a pipe but paying more attention to other things it's perfect. Something like Key Largo I can sit and ponder the pipe and the smoke. Even though I mainly smoke a few choice blends it's wouldn't be the same without options and the occasional travel through something new or different.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
#7 Broken Flake is no slouch either. I'd say it's definitely a must try for fans of Ennerdale.

The one i've tried repeatedly and never been able to understand is Grasmere. That shit is 100% rose geranium. We have a family friend with a bush of it growing in their yard and I want to hurl every time I get within 6 feet of that thing. Smells exactly like opening a jar of Grasmere. Recommend for only the most extreme lovers of granny's panty drawer.
Grasmere is the absolute acme of Rose Geranium tobacco engineering and one of the few of the Gawith line up that have survived unscathed. It is the tobacco world's equivalent of having Auntie Mabel move in with you as opposed to just occasionally visiting!

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I love the stuff. Probably just me, but I found the mixture to have more flavor. I know it's just broken flake from the bottom of the pile, but it may get more surface area rolling against the flakes and picking up more of the topping. Doesn't matter, I'm hooked on the stuff.
Agree! In my Peterson 106 big boi it takes about 15 minutes after being lit before the bass notes start to drop.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Ennerdale is great stuff if you ask me! It was my first introduction to Lakeland blends and initially I was horrified when the tin note greeted me, but then when I eventually got up the courage to smoke it I found it to have a wonderful flavor that was primarily exceptionally high quality Virginia tobaccos with gentle floral and citrus notes that enhance the natural flavors of the tobacco rather than cover them up... and then about 25 minutes into the bowl I started feeling strangely sweaty, a little dizzy, and my stomach wasn't too happy either. That ended up also being my first experience with nicotine sickness from pipe smoking 😅

Be aware that if you primarily smoke aromatics like I did at the time you may find the nicotine content of Ennerdale to be rather surprising and it can easily catch you off guard, but if you're a more seasoned smoker who can enjoy a pipe of Haunted Bookshop without issue then you should be just fine. These days I don't have too much trouble with Ennerdale, though when I do want a Lakeland style blend I usually go for Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Black Cherry.

Kendal Black Cherry has a significantly stronger Lakeland essence topping than the current production batches of Ennerdale coupled with a wonderfully natural cherry flavor, which results in a blend that perfectly reminds me the aroma of cherry blossoms blooming in the spring. The nicotine content is also a fair bit lower than most Gawith Hoggarth blends and more in line with my favorite medium strength non-aromatics like Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, Cornell & Diehl Pegasus, and Peterson Early Morning Pipe. It's enough that you'll definitely notice it by the end of the bowl, but it's not going to knock your socks off.

So, if you end up liking Ennerdale then I'd highly recommend giving Kendal Black Cherry a try! They're both excellent, but Kendal Black Cherry is definitely my favorite of the Lakelands I've tried thus far. I do still need to try #7 Broken Flake and Grousemoor though, since I've heard they're rather punchy in the Lakeland essence department and I do loves me a pipe full of flowers.

Last edited:

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Love the stuff. If I don't have a supply of Ennerdale, Kendal flake (scented, of course), Conniston cut plug, and Bosun cut plug, I start to get a bit panicked. You should grab a tin of Grousemoor and/or 1792 flake, too, as they are both top notch as well.
The more I smoke these blends, the more I regret buying soooooo many other tobaccos. Anything light I'm having a hard time smoking. 1792 is such a go to blend for me right now.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The more I smoke these blends, the more I regret buying soooooo many other tobaccos. Anything light I'm having a hard time smoking. 1792 is such a go to blend for me right now.
weird thing it's helping me enjoy other tobaccos more too. Almost as if the flavor profile is so different that it cleanses my palate in a way that is surprising.