PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaviSmoker

Lurker
Dec 16, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob (See Rule 9)

When I began pipe smoking a little over a year ago I started with the otc’s and felt that the burley blend Carter Hall had the flavor and feel that I would enjoy. What turned me off was that at the half bowl mark the flavor turned ashy and the mouth feel was chalky. I tried English and Balkan blends and never looked back. Recently I’ve been craving that nutty cocoa flavor and based on the reviews and discussions on this forum I included some Amphora Burley and C&D Haunted Bookshop in my latest tobacco order.
Tried the Amphora the other day and was very satisfied in the flavors and fullness of this blend! The flavors held throughout the bowl and the soft, smooth feel also made this a great smoke. Hoping to try the Haunted Bookshop today.
It will be nice to have some blends that I can enjoy when the warmer weather returns. Sometimes the heat diminishes my enjoyment of the English blends. Thanks for reading and enjoy the holidays!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If you liked Carter Hall, you'll love Hearth & Home Chatham Manor from Pipes and Cigars. CM is supposed to be a match for CH but I don't find that totally. CM is in the ballpark but does not have the half bowl problems you've noted.

Reactions: danimalia

SaviSmoker

Lurker
Dec 16, 2019
If you liked Carter Hall, you'll love Hearth & Home Chatham Manor from Pipes and Cigars. CM is supposed to be a match for CH but I don't find that totally. CM is in the ballpark but does not have the half bowl problems you've noted.
I’ve thought about trying Chatham Manor but wasn’t sure about the ashy flavor coming up. I’ll give it a try in my next order now, thanks.

Reactions: danimalia and ray47

SaviSmoker

Lurker
Dec 16, 2019
Edward G. Robinson pipe tobacco, I haven’t seen this one mentioned much recently, but it’s a nice crossover tobacco with a burley-esque range of flavors. It has a tad but of latakia and aromatic-bess, but they all combine to make for a pleasant cocoa and nutty smoke.

I just popped a tin of C&D Burley Flake #1.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll research this one.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I also came around to burleys after a tour of Englishes. Mac Baren Navy flake and Stokkebye Toasted Burley bulk are the two I’m into most often. Although I think Solani 656 Aged burley flake might be the best, it needs drying whereas the other two are really easy to just pack and light.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It does sound ominous lol. Haunted bookshop is one of my all time favorites. Smoke slow and enjoy. Let us know what you think after your first bowl.

SaviSmoker

Lurker
Dec 16, 2019
It does sound ominous lol. Haunted bookshop is one of my all time favorites. Smoke slow and enjoy. Let us know what you think after your first bowl.
I see what you were saying. It is very different than the Amphora Burly I tried the other day. I got a little nuttiness but no cocoa or sweetness at all. Almost like a Marlboro with a little Perique. While it didn’t wow me, it wasn’t bad. If there’s one thing I learned in my short time of pipe smoking it’s that very few tobaccos taste their truest right from a fresh tin. With that in mind I jarred it and will let it sit for a few weeks, opening it up to breath a few times, then give it a few more tastes before judging it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.