PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
If you are new to English blends I recommend Presbyterian Mixture. I just tried the latest version made by Mac Baren because SP had a big sale. It is almost like a crossover aro/English. I detected some kind of subtle casing that is a little vanilla like. Mostly bright Virginias and oriental and only a touch of Lat.

Reactions: dPero and FLDRD

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Another +1 on Presbyterian! Next to Peterson Early Morning Pipe I think it's a good one for crossing over from aromatics to non-flavored tobacco. It does have some Latakia in it, but I do not get a lot of that smokeyness, the orientals and virginia give it a very smooth and creamy texture. I've had the Macbaren produced one only, before made by Planta in Germany, but they claim the recipe isn't changed.

I also enjoy 965 en Red Rapparree, those are a bit richer in the latakia. Seeing your a aromatic smoker I think the condimental cavendish in both is a taste you will enjoy. If you want a bit of spice you can also try Dan Tobacco Midnight ride, a oriental forward with a pinch of perique.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
PART 2: Sutliff Balkan II, HH Latakia Flake, Spark Plug, Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, Balkan Sasieni, Newminster 306 (tastes like it has some casing but says it doesn't), and then there are more which are not available for purchase at this time unfortunately.

The only non-Latakia blend that I have found very flavourful (so far) is Three Nuns (which has Burley, Kentucky, Virginia).

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'll +1 on the HH Latakia flake which I only saw mentioned once.

And I'll give 2 thumbs up to Old Dublin, I'm on my first tin of it and it is performing exceptionally well for me in flavor and smoking quality in the bowl.

++ on the Presbyterian & Early Morning Pipe for starters - delicious and mild.

Want an outlier that's super mild? One of my very first was Robert Lewis Orcilla mixture. Main component is Oriental.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I tried 1 bowl of the Sutliff Early Morning Pipe match.

1. Bowl. Only. So. Far.

When I get my courage up I might try again. Might. Too much like a chemical aromatic to me. Could be just what someone is seeking though.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
For anything even remotely in the area of English or Balkan, trust in Grandmaster Latakia Pease.
(Yes, that's what G. L. stands for. I have no idea where everyone is getting this 'Greg' thing.)
You can't go wrong with any of the Pease offerings, whether it be his eponymous line, Drucquer & Sons, or the C&D Two Friends collaboration. I've had almost all - I'm working my way through alphabetically - and haven't had one yet that I wouldn't buy in bulk. By the pallet.
It's hard to recommend one over the other because every one of the blends becomes my new favorite when I smoke it, then I memory wipe as soon as I try another. Exceptional conception by Mr. Pease in the blend recipes, outstanding execution by Mr. Reeves and the crew at C&D.
That said, Trafalgar and Prince's Blend in the Drucquer & Sons line are two of my favorites, as well as Abingdon, Lagonda, and Maltese Falcon from G. L. Pease. I've only made it up to Odyssey so far, so can't recommend from experience anything from there, forward.
Now get to smokin'!

Reactions: FLDRD
Mar 1, 2014
My two "go to" English blends are Cornell & Diehl Star of the East and Presbyterian.
Star of the East is a pure Lat Bomb and as full flavored as any other that I've tried.
Presbyterian is more Oriental forward, it's not available in bulk but I have yet to encounter a Bulk equivalent.

Honorable mention goes to basically every G.L. Pease blend with Latakia in it, I just don't focus on those because Star of the East is cheaper.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I'll second the GL Pease Quiet Nights (I have pounds in my cellar). Deep, rich with some dark sweetness.

Westminster is more of an all day Balkan/English, but it is also a favorite of mine.

Reactions: jpmcwjr