PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
For bulk tobaccos, I suggest Peter Stokkebye English Luxury and Proper English. For tinned blends, I suggest Dunhill My Mixture 965 and London Mixture.
Hope this helps.
-Jason

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Frog Morton on the Town, if you've been smoking aromatics, is a good start.

English Luxury by Peter Stokkebye is a good light English.

Standard Mixture Mild by Dunhill if you want to jump right in.
Pipes and Cigars.com http://pipesandcigars.com/albubybyou.html has a nice sampler of several English blends available.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I like Hearth and Home's Ten to Midnight, Margate, St. Ives (a lot), Black Mallory, Wilke 193, shortcut to mushrooms. With exceptions I tend to prefer blends that are more hybrid/crossover than straight English.
But that's just me. Pipesandcigars.com offer to let you sample their bulks. And they sell a Tin Pipe Tobacco Sampler - "Full Body, English Blends". I can't recommend everything in that collection-- haven't tried them all and I can't stand Presbyterian. But that seems to be the thing with taste; I've loved blends that others really dislike and have hated blends that others rave about.
But if you're broadening out from aromatics, I don't think you can go wrong with Wilke 193 or shorcut. Wilke's a bit gentler introduction in my opinion.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Cornell & Diehl's English Sampler is also very good. If you want to save money, go for bulk choices and look for one ounce offerings. Peter Stokkebye has already been mentioned, which I will second.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Welcome Dawk from southeast Texas!!!
When you schmoke your way through all of the great English blends that were suggested you will be a happy piper. :D
Samplers are the ticket. Most all of the internet baccy shops have a sampler with English blends.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Howdy Dawk. Looks like all my recommendations have been covered. I tend to buy a lot of Peter Stokkebye tobaccos. In my opinion they are the best bang for the buck.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
dawk you've got some great suggestions and I really like pipetrucker's recommendation, it's a true classic, but you might have a hard time finding it.
Let us know what you get and what you think about it after a few smokes. The more information you give about your experiance, with whatever you get, the more everyone here can help suggest other blends. Happy smokes to ya! :D

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I think that Mason has the right approach. For someone that is new

to English blends & mixtures, it would be good to start with some of

those of lighter character. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe has long been

regarded as a good introduction. Dunhill London mixture is more of an

oriental blend than English, but is also a good introduction to Orientals.

C&D's English sampler is good as well. Your search for favorites should

be fun and something to take your time with, as many find these blends to

be an acquired taste.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
All good recommendations although I would also add Maltese Falcon in the mix. The Dunhill's are classics and eveyone should get to know them.

As a beginner in this genre Spillman's Mixture from Iwan Ries is a fine choice as well.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Dawk!
I have to echo Fred's recommendation about the Dunhill Early Morning Pipe... very good stuff. However; if you are looking for a real "swift kick in the brain housing group", you might venture into the Balkan realm. Balkans are basically English blends with a bit more enthusiasm... You might try Sasieni Balkan... It's inexpensive as tined tobaccos go, and is right tasty.

jaxz

Lurker
Apr 23, 2009
I tend to lean more towards English blends myself. I would recommend trying out Squadron Leader (already suggested), Commonwealth, and Dunhill Nightcap. All are very heavy in Latakia and have a pretty good kick to them.
Early Morning Pipe (also suggested) is a good intro blend.
There are so many out there and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one, in my opinion.

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
WOW! THAKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO MY NEW PIPE SMOKING FRIENDS. I CANT WAIT TO GET INTO MORE THAN A FEW OF THESE SUGGESTIONS AND I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED. HAPPY PUFFING TO ALL AND THANKS!

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Although my friends here know I am a Cornell & Diehl addict when it comes to English blends, for someone just starting to experiment with the genre I might recommend McClelland Old Dog. Yes, it does have a bit of cavendish but not to the extent that the current Dunhill My Mixture 965 (to its discredit, I'm afraid) has.

When I first tried it I said to myself, "I don't really like this sweetish stuff". I said continually that for all of four days until the tin was empty. Now I must get some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.