English Blends with Little to No Latakia ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Squadron Leader is pretty light to my palate but probably not to those sensitive to it. I remember Steven Books had an English blend with no Latakia, he told me that true English blends didn’t originally have Latakia. I’m not sure exactly what he meant (I was a novice back then) because you also have English blends like St. Bruno but I usually differentiate those blends by calling them traditional British blends, as not to confuse those blends with Latakia blends.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I used to hate cilantro, but very abruptly (sometime in my late 20s) I flipped to liking it a lot and that hasn’t changed in 20 years. Not sure how that happened. I’ve never liked latakia. I personally don’t think they taste anything like each other, but it’s obviously all subjective.

Reactions: ofafeather

Papasmurf92

Lurker
Oct 16, 2020
Jeremy Reeves from C&D did remark in some video on Youtube that Latakia in large proportions tends to be fairly subdued, and that in smaller proportions, it tends to overpower other components. Of course, it probably depends on the other blending components used, and I‘m pretty sure he wasn‘t referring to Lat-bombs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia is almost a default condiment in English blends, with Perique running a close second. Leave both of those out, and you tend to have some other genre, even if it is described as an English. Technically, that's not true, but it sure seems like it is.

There is quite a range of condiments. I'm glad to see dark-fired, cigar leaf, Orientals, Cavendish, and various burleys and Virginias used as condiments, and others.

I've always liked the Lat and/or Perique blends, but people do get tired of too many blends with that same profile. When you smoke other genres, some of those blends taste great when they come around in rotation.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Jeremy Reeves from C&D did remark in some video on Youtube that Latakia in large proportions tends to be fairly subdued, and that in smaller proportions, it tends to overpower other components. Of course, it probably depends on the other blending components used, and I‘m pretty sure he wasn‘t referring to Lat-bombs.
Yep, and GLP confirmed. Similarly Hans Wiedeman of HU tobacco said in an interview at the Dutch Pipe Blog that the % of Lat is less telling than the overall composition of the blend regarding how heavy a Lat bomb it tastes like.

I’ve smoked straight Latakia and it was strangely light and fragrant…possibly because it bombed my taste buds with smokiness so that it was no longer detectable.

Reactions: ofafeather