English blends with Dark fired Kentucky.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Hi guys. I want to know, if there are any English/Latakia blend that contain a high dose of dark fired Kentucky. I've only seen sillem's commodore flake.

Thanks.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Reactions: BarrelProof

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I don’t know of any. I’m interested to hear what others say!

You might have to mix up your own, but that could be pretty interesting.
I am thinking to mix up Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky with Ashton Artisans or Pirate Kake or Ten Russians. I think is a good idea.

I just wanted to know if there any ready blend in this style from any company.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
You should check out Chonowitsch T17, its technically a Scottish blend, but I think it will scratch the itch of what you are looking for.

Reactions: john19

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I know of no English/Scottish blends with that much Kentucky. GL Pease's Sextant contains some, but not to that extent.
You might have to add it yourself and make your own blend. :)

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
i just asked google bard, and the reply is below. there are some, ahem, obvious errors:

"Here are some English tobaccos that feature/contain a high measure of dark fired Kentucky:

• Samuel Gawith Latakia Flake
  • MacDonald Burley No. 1
  • Peterson Elizabethan Mixture
  • McClelland Latakia Flake
  • Sutliff Latakia Flake
  • Orlik Golden Flake
  • Rattray's Latakia Flake
  • Dunhill London Mixture
These tobaccos are all made with a high proportion of dark fired Kentucky tobacco, which gives them a smoky, earthy flavor. They are popular with pipe smokers who enjoy a strong, full-bodied flavor."

and another try:

"Here are some English-style tobacco blends that contain "Dark Fired Kentucky":

• HH Old Dark Fired by Mac Baren
  • Bold Kentucky by Mac Baren
  • London Mixture by Dunhill
  • Nightcap by Dunhill
  • Old Gowrie by Dunhill
  • Old Latakia by Dunhill
  • Nightcap by Dunhill
  • Orlik Golden Flake
  • Rattray's Latakia Flake
  • Peterson Elizabethan Mixture
  • McClelland Latakia Flake
  • Sutliff Latakia Flake
  • Samuel Gawith Latakia Flake
  • MacDonald Burley No. 1
These tobaccos are all made with a high proportion of dark fired Kentucky tobacco, which gives them a smoky, earthy flavor. They are popular with pipe smokers who enjoy a strong, full-bodied flavor.

If you are looking for a specific type of English-style tobacco blend, you can use the search bar on the Mac Baren website to find a blend that contains Dark Fired Kentucky."

Figure i'd do my part to help train up these AI's on pipe tobacco. :)

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
ChatGPT provided this:

"If you are looking for English-style tobacco blends that contain Dark Fired Kentucky, there are a few options that I can recommend. Here are three popular blends that incorporate this type of tobacco:
  1. Peterson Irish Flake - This is a strong, full-bodied tobacco blend that features Dark Fired Kentucky, as well as Burley and Virginia tobaccos. It has a rich, smoky flavor with notes of earth and leather.
  2. Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture - This blend is a classic English-style mixture that includes Dark Fired Kentucky, along with Virginia and Oriental tobaccos. It has a smooth, medium-bodied flavor with hints of sweetness and spice.
  3. Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz - This is a bold, robust blend that combines Dark Fired Kentucky with Perique and Virginia tobaccos. It has a smoky, spicy flavor with a touch of sweetness.
Keep in mind that tobacco preferences can vary widely from person to person, so it's always a good idea to try a small amount of a new blend before committing to a larger purchase."

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
At the risk of getting way too serious for this thread, these AI tools just amplify my concern about the spread of misinformation. You don't have to pass it off as true in order to do damage to the base of knowledge that we have, you just have to pass it along. At some point in the chain, people will omit any caveats that were originally attached, and it will be believed as fact.

Last edited:

UpArrow

Lurker
Dec 13, 2022
Buy a bag of G & H Dark Birdseye Vintage cut and do tiny batch mix experiments of your own with English blends you like.
DBE marries very well with Lat blends, as opposed (IMO) to HH ODF which is too sweet/barbecu-ey for the task.

Reactions: FLDRD and john19

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Some more knowledgeable suggestions can be found here.
Thanks for the help, but the list it must not be correct. Some blends from the list it's not English. They don't even have any Latakia (like Old dark fired, bold Kentucky, Peterson Irish Flake, Old Joe Krantz, Peterson Elizabethan mixture).