Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
End tobacco smoking by 2025?
IMG_0220.jpg

Geoff Riley
9th September 2008
Print page

Could we end the smoking of tobacco in the Uk within a generation. On first glance it looks like one of those utterly grandiose targets that New Labour used to launch (and re-launch) such as abolishing Child Poverty by 2020. But this ultra-ambitious target comes from the Royal College of Physicians who argue that radical measures are needed to curb smoking. They argue that “The primary objective of regulation of smoked tobacco should be to make smoking and smoked tobacco products as unappealing, unattractive, unaffordable and unavailable as possible, as quickly as possible.”
The measures include:
Increase the tax on tobacco by 10% every year
License tobacco retailers and prohibit the sale of smoked tobacco in premises where children are admitted
Crack down on tobacco smuggling, and apply Class A drug penalties for tobacco smuggling and under-age sale
Encourage sale of low cost single day nicotine packs, available from any retail outlet
Permanently exempt medicinal nicotine from VAT
Provide free medicinal nicotine for all smokers on the NHS, not just those on a smoking cessation programme
What do you think?
:mad:

EDIT: Removed Link from Article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 1, 2014
I can't disagree with the principle behind tobacco prohibition, millions of people are mentally trapped in a state of addiction, those people should be helped.
The flipside is: "The Worst Dictators Are The Ones Who Think They Have Your Best Interests In Mind".

Even if people never kick the habit, making medical Nicotine available at-cost would probably help to kill the Cigarette industry as fast as anything.
Of course that's not what governments want, they'll never seriously talk about prohibition either, no-one wants to give up their slaves.

In a perfect world human civilization would be able to avoid both mass substance addiction and dictatorships.

For everyone not addicted and genuinely just interested in Tobacco for fun, the consequences of Tobacco use should be treated the same as driving a Motorcycle.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There is always someone trying to ban something. Be it booze in America under the Volstead Act in the 1920s the zealot is never happy until everyone is as unhappy as they themselves are inwardly. Most of them are dependent on these crusades to furnish them with a job and income. In the old days one used to get tracts through the mail from these various group. I too well remember the Greens knocking on our door and selling their paper 'The Good Earth' circa 1977. Strangely their representative was a German women, her husband taught Russian since he thought it was the language of the future! That really worked out well for him and the great Soviet Utopia but it taught me that zealotry and other extreme political beliefs were mere kissing cousins. Anything containing the end 'ism' makes me want to reach for my pipe and light up something really odoriferous!

Status
Not open for further replies.