PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I saved a couple of the round aluminum tins to use in the shower to store shampoo bars and such, a few others now hold resistors and capacitors on my workbench.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
A member of my local pipe club has actually made a chair and a couple of coffee tables with tins collected over the years. He'd ask fellow club members to save their tins and bring them to the meetings for the purpose of making pipe tobacco tin furniture. After a couple of years he had the chair and coffee tables completed and they looked terrific. I wish I had taken a photo when I went to his home to look at his work.
Best,

Pipestud

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You could build a house out of them Somebody did it out of beer or soda cans once
I think there are several, but the oldest one is in Houston. It's quite a sight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Can_House

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I just toss them in the recycle. I had one tin I was using for my flys for fishing. I just cut a piece of hobby foam to fit inside the tin, and then hooked my flys into the foam. I ended up buying a square case for my flys b/c the round tin didnt fit the pockets in my vest very well and if I didnt put the lid on correctly it would open in my pocket.

msutton

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Memphis, TN
My wife takes my tins and uses them for sewing notions--pins, buttons, etc. I never have to worry about what to do with them. She's usually eyeing them before I get done.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I keep random small things that I'd rather not lose in a Nightcap tin-zippo flints and wicks, a Kaywoodie stinger, tweezers I use for dislodging stubborn tobacco from airways, some spare buttons, etc. I really like the portable ashtray idea, I'll be drying that if I ever get around to ordering a cork knocker (don't drink champaign).

surtrungr

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
I really dig the table idea!
I wonder if you'd have to pour clear plastic over them, and then slap plexiglass on the top for a final surface...
I am intrigued. I like my tin art, and always feel bad tossing empty tins away.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Some of the guys at work (Helicopter Mechanics) use old tins to keep their assortment of Cotter pins.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
You cooks just use the plexi and have them loose on a box under the glass
Stupid auto correct on the Iphone what the hell was i saying here lol. Oh ya you Could make a table top with a lip on the outside and just lay out the tins inside the table with glue and place the plexiglass over it to seal them in. there you have it a Tobacco coffee table.
or make a clock as mentioned above i like that idea also.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
If the stickers are peel-able I re-stick them to the tops of my Mason jars :puffpipe:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I really like the portable ashtray idea, I'll be drying that if I ever get around to ordering a cork knocker (don't drink champaign)
I have made a few of these and you don't need to buy a "cork knocker" I just use a 50 cent cork from the hardware store.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I use them to house bulk tobacco. I just make a small label for the bottom of the tin. I have collected a lot of tins, so you might find some PS Navy Flake in an old Troost tin. Part of the fun...

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
+1, Spyder, on re-using the stickers to label your jars. Been doing that for a while, and it makes it alot easier to read what's inside the jar.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm saving the Peterson limited edition tins to do something special with them when I have more collected. If a tin has attractive art work I'll keep it. Otherwise I usually just recycle them. I have kept one or two as an ashtray for my car.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I turned one of them into a small low power transciever for ham radio.
rockmite2.jpg

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.