PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
.... what to do with them?
Aside from the little "old style" ( rectangular rather than squarish ) empty tin of Erinmore Flake which comes in handy to carry other baccy sometimes, I have accumulated 14 other empty metal tins that just sit here and take up space.
Should I eBay / Briar Bid them or would anyone here like to give them a home? In addition to the Erinmore Flake, there are 2 SG Grousemoor, then one each of the following : SG 1792, Pembroke, Thomas Radford Sunday Fantasy, Peterson Irish Flake, Peterson Univ Flake, Peterson Irish Whiskey, Peterson Irish Oak, Solani 369, Villiger Late Night, Balkan Sasieni, McBaren Plumcake and McBaren Symphony.
Mods, would this be kosher to make a post on the trade forum i.e. "15 empty tins for 100 g of baccy" or something of the sort?

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Keep them and put in all the romantic love letters you exchanged with your girlfriend/fiance/wife/partner while that particular tin was open.
If you don't write romantic love letters? Now you have a good excuse to start :)

If you don't have a girlfriend/fiance/wife/partner? It's also good for receipts and bills...
:puffpipe:

joshwolftree

I use mine to store odds and ends and generally look good on the coffee table with all the pipes and open baccy's

One holds those stupid, always gets lost, plastic replacement flint packs for my Zippos. One holds spare wick. Take all the books out of a case of matchbooks and toss them in a few tins. Smoke Cobs? If you do, keep some replacement stems in one. Small odds and ends like these fit well enough to still close the lid. Plus, they look good on the table with your pipe working tools and make for easy access and organization.
The larger one's like 4 to 16 oz, take the lid off stick some pipe cleaners in it and set it next to the ashtray

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Funny but when I was courting the wife I smoked cigs, so none of the tins hold any special significance other than perhaps the tin of Irish Flake which was the first tinned baccy I smoked when I picked up the pipe once I moved away from the myrriad of cheap jarred B&M blends.
josh that would be cool if I had a pipe room. Being in a 2 room apartment, that is not an option. They used to sit in and around the tobacco/pipe cabinet until the "stash" has grown and they were relocated to a small plastic tote in the closet. They're just taking up room ....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My oldest son uses some to store stuff, but I end up throwing most away. I don't know if there is any value to empty tins that are not very old and have unique art on them.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I keep wooden matches in mine, I even cut out the striking surface from a large match box and tape it to the underside of the lid. I'm able to leave my matches out on my front porch and they aren't affected by the weather.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have a large work bench in my garage that I am thinking of covering with the lids of baccy tins and bottle caps from beers I drink then putting some clear resin over the top to make a hard smooth surface.
If I don't put them on my work bench I will make some tables for the back yard and do the same to the tops of those.
If you just want to get rid of them and don't want to trash them I will take them.
I had some buddies in college that made a huge beer pong table like this.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I used to toss mine, but my daughter-in-law found that people will pay money for them in yard sales

and flea markets. I have no idea why. But I guess folks want them for some reason.

My granddaughters made a survival kit that fits in a 200 gram tin. But you can only make some many

of those....
I kinda like hfearly's idea too.... but love letters are kinda mushie and wet to many hankies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't know why I didn't mention that.... But pipesicle is exactly right!!!! Nothing makes kids

happier than giving them a bunch of empty tobacco tins!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I just pitched a hand full of peterson tins. Maybe i shouldve kept them.
I like your idea eagle. That would look cool. Ive been saving bottle caps in my bar for about a year now.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
I use one of my empty MacBaren tins as an ashtray, complete with a cork knocker in the middle.

joshwolftree

I didn't even think of the kit idea. I have a burn specific first aid kit for when I'm fire spinning. If I take it out of the bagie it's in I could probably fit it in there. Or I suppose I could make a nice three wick candle in one, be good for when I'm camping. maybe a small tinder box with a magnesium flint and steel and some shavings from a tamper or pipe project. oooh new ideas!!!!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm sending them to eaglerico who will get some use out of them.
I will have more empties by the time my daughter can play with them properly :) . We put some rice in one and let her use it as a rattle but still a bit too big to hold on to for her ( she's almost 11 months ).

alancairns

Might Stick Around
Oct 22, 2012
I give mine to my wife. She keeps bits and bobs of water colour stuff in them, and uses them as travelling palettes. When the supply gets too big, she gives them to her artistic friends, who do the same, I suppose. There seems to be an insatiable demand for 50G tins in the art world.
Alan

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
My wife steals mine for her endless supply of scrap booking stuff. I don't even know what she puts in them.
She doesn't go into my corner, I don't go into her closet. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.