PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markeh

Lurker
Jul 23, 2010
I just had a conversation with Authorized Repair Service about repairing a Davidoff lighter.

When I asked him why lighters seem to fail often, he said that when a butane lighter isn't being used and is stored away, I should empty all butane out of the tank. Keeping the lighter filled eventually damages the seals. "Lighters are meant to be used" was his advice.
This is the first I've heard of this. I have somehow acquired a few butane pipe lighters over time, and just leave them filled in a drawer. Sometimes when I take them out, they no longer work. I never considered that leaving them filled caused a problem.
Any opinion as to this advice? Anyone do this??
thx,

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Hmm, I know that if you don't purge a butane lighter before refilling it, then it can cause issues with performance... so, maybe, if it was a butane fuel that was less than pure, it might cause problems.
E-mail a couple of lighter company sevice reps and pick their expertise on the subject. I know Xikar's customer service techs are friendly, quick, and top notch -- I'm sure they'd be happy to weigh in on the matter.

Jun 27, 2016
If the lighter is 100% good to begin with, I think that you have to let some butane flow out of it and adjust any flame adjuster while this is happening, (once every couple months) if they are not being used. Draining them out completely once a year and putting fresh butane back in is good too. Anything to exercise the seals and keep the butane fresh. I like the Whip-It 5x butane because it is good value and low residue. Depending on what lighter you have, you might need an additional fill adapter to run a butane can. I think if you drain it and put it away, or fill it and put it away, the rubber seals harden and will leak in either case, or depending on the lighter, material in some regulators will eventually solidify and not be able to flow gas through them if they sit in old nasty butane.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bad Info here. Having spent 31.5 yrs in the Petro Chem Industry I have worked around Every different kinds of Machinery you can imagine. Seals seal, and when the effluent is taken out they dry, get brittle and fail. Mothballing equipment you drain the fuel tanks but leave the lube side with fresh oils so seals are preserved.. Bad info that air gets in tank, it's pressured and is a higher pressure than the Atmosphere. The main reason most Butane lighters don't get full is the pressure differential is not at max. Remember Lighter goes in Referigator to decrease pressure, warming Butane can raises the pressure, that way you get a maximum fill.As Justin Wilson would say I Garrontee.

Jun 27, 2016
A lot of times you have to purge the lighter because it ends up with mostly propellant in it, and very little butane. Dunno why that happens, but it can. If you just try to fill it, nothing goes in because the propellant is in there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.