PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Is it correct assume that Embossed Meers are pressed rather than carved from a solid block?
Second - are all Meer pipes that say hand carved actually carved from a solid block and not from pressed material?

Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I doubt you can assume either of those things. People can write any sort of nonsense in describing their goods on the internet. If you have specific pipes in mind, some here may be able to help you with those.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I have seen pipes advertised as such. The ones I have seen appeared to be carved. I don't see how a piece of block meerschaum could be embossed without crushing the block. On the other hand If a pipe were made with pressed meerschaum the outer surface would indeed be embossed. Hand carving could be done with either block or pressed. If you are referring to the pipes on FleaBay that I have seen I believe it is a false assumption on the part of an uninformed seller.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
??? Embossed???...
yep - take a look at Meerschaum Market and you will see several that say "Embossed".
I know little about Meers and am looking into them, but want to be educated before jumping in. I was suspicious of the price of such high level of detail for so low of a cost. Most say carved, some say carved from solid block meerschaum and others say embossed.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Embossed or pressed is not block.
look for a good quality unsmoked estate or one known to be Turkish Block.

Reactions: jhowell

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I justlooked these up. All the pipes I'm seeing which are called "embossed" are, in my opinion, most definitely hand-carved, they're just a shallow relief carving. They're still block meerschaum. I haven't encountered ANY full-size Turkish pipes, at least made since the 1970s, which appear to me to be pressed/chip meerschaum. I've seen some 60s and early 70s era, REALLY cheap pipes that I suspected might be, because the carved lines had lots of tiny flakes out of them, and because they'd been smoked heavily and hadn't colored.

Pressed meerschaum is definitely still being made. Many "minis" and very cheap small pipes use it, as do cups for calabashes. But full-size pipes, absolutely not.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.