Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Did anyone get this email from Brian Ruthenberg? Not sure what to make of it
Hello everyone,
As some of you know, and others don't, I have been sick on and off with Chronic Bronchitis for the past 2 years. I also found out that I have allergies, asthma, and a touch of emphysema.
What happened is, I started to cough uncontrollably a few years ago. I had went to the doctor and passed it off as just having a cold. So I had coughed and coughed through the cold which turned into an upper respiratory infection. The doctor told me to take Mucinex, it didn't help much, but it did help a little. Then the coughing got worse after a while. I stopped taking the Mucinex and went back to the doctor. She gave me an inhaler to use which worked just OK.( All this time I couldn't work much but went against orders to stay out of my shop because I was falling behind in my bills.) It wouldn't stop the coughing all together but made it so that it wasn't as frequent. This had gone on for 2 years.
Then one day I had coughed while using a Q-tip and poked my ear drum. Went to the doctor and she gave ear drops and said come back in a week. I came back in a week and she said I had fluid built up behind both eardrums, and to take Sudafed and Claritin to clear this up. (this was about 2 years later all the time working just enough to try to keep caught up but still falling further and further behind)) I did this and the coughing completely stopped! No inhaler too. So I kept up the allergy medication only, Claritin, and got off the Sudafed. Still good results no coughing, and hardly ever using my inhaler.

Now you cant be working by a machine where your fingers are 1/4" away from a sanding belt that is moving at 3450 rpms, while coughing, you wont have fingers very long. So I would only work when I felt I wasn't going to cough, which was very little. I actually wasn't supposed to be working at all in the dusty shop, but I did so anyways just so I could try to pay all my bills. Of course I couldn't keep up very good, but made due as best as I could.
Now this lasted 2+ yrs and has put me in a bind financially, yes I'm back to work but it is a huge hole to dig out of. I got far behind on my bills and most importantly my mortgage. Now the bank told me they are foreclosing on my house and if I don't come up with around $12,000.00 to reinstate the loan, they are going to take my home away from me.
I am now back to work full time and feel a lot better, and have taken steps to not be breathing in the dust associated with making pipes. I also still take the Claritin and also Zyrtec, (I switch between the two so my body doesn't get used to one or the other and the medications will still be effective)
This is where you can help me if you chose. No one individually has that kind of money, to save my home, but collectively if you all just give a little bit, I bet you can help me save my house. I really appreciate you reading this long story, and any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
If you'd like to donate money you can send it to my http://www.paypal.com/ account. The Paypal account name is fixit5561@comcast.net
If I do collect the amount I need, I will post it here to let you all know that my house has been saved. Also any money collected that's over the amount that I need, I will pay it forward and will donate it to someone who is in the same situation that I find myself in.
Any and all donations are greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time

Brian

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Is this for real? I don't know Brian or very much about him, but I'm not opposed to helping out.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I got it too and felt the same way. I assumed it was genuine (the email address was the same as the one listed on his website), and decided to help out

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
As far as I know, it is legit.
I won't go into details because I don't want it to seem like I'm slandering Brian (that's not the case). But, my wife commissioned a pipe from him for my wedding day gift 2 years ago. This was about the time he was starting to get sick. Long story short, I still don't have the pipe but it has been paid in full.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Also, just to be clear, I am not slandering Brian. I count him as a friend. I attended the pipe making seminar at the Chicago one year and he was one of the lead instructors so I got to know him well. I purchased my third Ruthenberg from him at the show and smoked its inaugural bowl with him that night.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I received the email as well. As a self-employed person I can understand his predicament. You have no one to fall back on if you can't work. I have been blessed to stay healthy most of my working life, but I could have easily been in Brian's predictament. This is a good opportunity for me to help someone whose work has benefited me.

Status
Not open for further replies.