PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I just bought an Eltang basic and have smoked it a couple times. The problem is it’s letting off this strong smell that isn’t pleasing. Assuming it’s the finish burning off on the outside. You guys think this very unpleasant smell will go away if I keep smoking it?

H

HRPufnstuf

Sounds like you may be smoking hot. If the bowl is uncomfortably warm in your hand try smoking at a lower pace, sipping. If this is the issue you will find you enjoy your tobacco flavours more as well.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I just bought an Eltang basic and have smoked it a couple times. The problem is it’s letting off this strong smell that isn’t pleasing. Assuming it’s the finish burning off on the outside. You guys think this very unpleasant smell will go away if I keep smoking it?
Meerschaum or briar?
Ive had a meer do that and burn off
After a few bowls. Perfume type odor I assume it was the wax.

Reactions: anotherbob

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
It’s a briar pipe. I’ve been pipe smoking for over a decade. Just wandering if any of you ever get that chemical polish smell when breaking in a new pipe?

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
I've got one and haven't noticed anything like this with my basic

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Yea hoping the smell will burn off as it is a great smoker.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
A number of makers use bowl coatings. Sone are pretty neutral but some taste kind of bad. A few smokes do the trick

Dec 28, 2015
I had an Eltang poker that did same. It was the bowl coating. I sanded it out and it went away. I have 3 Eltang basics that did not taste off at all. But ocassionally I get a bowl coating with that chemical smell and taste. It’s annoying.

DKpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2023
Denmark
I have two Eltang Basics - and there has been no problems at all.
They smoke like a dream ☺️

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I have one and had no problems with it. I would say you have just caught a pipe that has had a bit of extra polish/shellac/coating and it may take some time to dissipate. I had a Castello that was like it and I ended up gently sanding the bowl which solved the issue. It's worth noting that Greg Pease wrote a blog/article about a little Eltang Cutty of his that had a similar problem which took some diligent work from Greg to get the pipe to smoke up to his standard. Not withstanding all this its an Eltang and you have a superb smoking instrument even in this humble poker format, enjoy.

Reactions: orvet

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It’s the skanky bowl coating that Tom uses :mad:
Use sandpaper to scour it off until you get to bare wood
It‘s the fastest way to get rid of that unpleasantness

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
It’s the skanky bowl coating that Tom uses :mad:
Use sandpaper to scour it off until you get to bare wood
It‘s the fastest way to get rid of that unpleasantness
You sure that’s what it is Oz? I feel like it’s coming from the outside of the pipe but I could be wrong

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Didn't have this issue with the basic, but the Eltang poker I bought new had a horrible smell. It went away after a few smokes, but it smelled like death and rancid dairy.

Reactions: jon11 and OzPiper