PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I happen to live less than a mile from an elk ranch. The elk have been bugling for a week or so, and it seems like they are going stronger each day. It's a pleasant sound throughout the day and night.

I have gathered two cord of firewood getting ready for the winter, I hope to cut one more cord in the next day or two. I enjoy this time of year, but the cold weather here in the Teton Valley is right around the corner. We've had ice on the porch the last three mornings. I do enjoy listening to the elk while walking the dog.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
It is a sound of approaching winter. The first time I heard them was on a Labor Day back packing trip in the state of Washington. I couldn't see them and had to ask someone what that was. They sure taste good.
:mrgreen: :puffpipe:

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Cortez Bullwinkle is delicious Rocky on the other hand probably not so much.

~Ron

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't met too many elk, personally, but one time I did take my harmonica to the state zoo

and tried out music on various species. The cougar became restless, the wolf retreated to the

back of his enclosure. When I started to play to the elk, on their considerable acreage, there

were only a few in view, but as I played, a crowd (of elk) gathered and pretty soon, it was like I

was playing at Woodstock. The whole herd was standing in rapt attention. Then people began

gathering behind me. For some reason elk like harmonica music, or at least my harmonica

music. Who knew. People, not so much, but with elk, I'm a star.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
When I started to play to the elk, on their considerable acreage, there

were only a few in view, but as I played, a crowd (of elk) gathered and pretty soon, it was like I

was playing at Woodstock.
Well you know, Elk are one of the few species of animals (including humans) who intentionally seek out and eat psychedelic mushrooms. Perhaps it was more like Woodstock than you realize.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
In my neck of the woods we have a heard of about 1500 Elk that rome through the upper parts of our valley. It has been controversial because they are tearing up farm and ranch lands. The biggest controversy is when some bow hunters cornered a sub-herd in a pasture and basically had target practice. A couple of weeks ago, I was traveling up towards the mountains and observed a sub-herd of about 75 Elk. There were several big bulls with one being a head above the rest. That bull was massive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am idly wondering what happens when people chow down on elk meat from animals who've been heavily

into the mushrooms. Perhaps the psychoactive mushroom is metabolized really quickly even in a just-hunted

elk. Or maybe not.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
In terms of red meat we llive primarily on deer venison in my house. Elk is by far my favorite type of venison, though. First time I had it was on a back country camping/fishing trip at the "Lock-jaw" River in Idaho. Grilled venison, bruschetta and a bottle of merlot...good times.

My venison rating scale:
1) ELK

2) Moose

3) Caribou

4) Whitetail

5) Mule Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.